Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hurdles in using a dedicated programmer

Rory

I have put a VBS setup Sheet in the Folder newly created in the FTP (Thanks Jay) that a Felllow Forum Member did I alos put the HTML3 Simple One Page I did but never took the time to get the buffers right for posting out the right Max-Mins but shoudl give you an IDEA what you can do with the Standard HTML you can get from this web site PRE Wireframe Capture. Hope that Helps

I even through one up there From another Forum Member.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

We have 6 Full Time Programmers myself included. On occasion if the shop is buried we'll go out and run a prototype run of a few pieces.

As was mentioned above, documentation is critical in the transfer of the programmer's intentions to the shop floor. We have setup guys and operators. The setup guys do just that, and on occasion will run production on the most difficult jobs but for the most part they are setting up and moving on. Some of the operators are allowed to change an offset value but no programs. We use a MS Word Template for our setup sheets. There is a macro embedded in it so that if you have a picture of the part on your clip board you double click on some text and it will paste the image. Also we have another macro that will take a "Detailed Tool List" and create a table for inserting on the setup sheet.

Programming at the control is not a viable option for us. With tight controls over programs and such, there's no room for that. We're subject to Boeing, Bombardier, Embrear, and FAA scrutiny. No hand programming even for tooling. We have programs and setup sheets for that stuff as well. Besides none of our fixtures are simple hole patterns or the like.

Just remember this... when your machines are being programmed at the control, they are not being run. When they are not being run, they are not making money. When they are not making money, they are costing you money.

JM2C

HTML_DON.SET and HTML_DON_README.TXT are on the FTP site. You need to reset all margin setting to .5 before printing. If anyone gets the oppotunity to fix the items not completed, let me know.

Thanks

[EDIT] Let me know your comments and suggestion via e-mail.

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

[ 07-08-2004, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Code_Breaker ]

Allright where do I find the Core8.hlp help file?

Looks like I got shorted files.

I'm looking in help at creating a setup sheet using a .SET file and getting a "Cannot find the Core8.hlp file....." Tried the install disc without luck also?

From my experiance documentation is very important, but here where I work having the disapline to carry out the plan is our down fall. many false starts and differant suppervisers ideas is frustrating at the very least. banghead.gif

That said Im still gonna print this string out cause many of the points put forth are what Ive been trying to get across here.

quote:

having the disapline to carry out the plan is our down fall

I feel for you there, I have seen this happen all to many times.

I would agree that documentation is very important. We just had a repeat job today that was run 1 year ago. Do you think anybody could remember how to set it up or where the original program is located? banghead.gif

Yeah Been there done that Bill I went and worked at one place they did not keep any records. I had customers that would come back wit ha different print that the one we made the parts to and they would just go ok let's fix your mistake since you made the parts wrong and I would go nope here is the orignal print and then it was ohhhhhhh. I have a location for every customer as well as their Jobs. In the htree years I was there I could tell you to the penny how much each repeat job cost, what machine it was done on, what tools where charged to that job, program and fixture locations and such and they hated me for it went against thier way of doing thing go figure.

Good luck Bill comfortable is alot of compaines downfalls.

Gregg T, Look in the FTP site for a .VBS setup sheet I U/L a few months ago. For the life of me, I can't remember what I named it (probably setup.vbs), and it works well.

I tried messing with the .set setup sheets, but just couldn't get the HTML to format correctly when it came to breaking the tool list into 2 columns.

John T.

Alt-C and you will see a Chook Name called mcamvb.dll Double click or just open that and then another dialog box will open up. The choose the button with 3 dots selcet the VB and then run and it will go. The VB you get from here you need to put in the VB folder inside of the MCAM9 folder first. You should also have a few operation groups before running the VB script. Also should be running 9.1 SP2 and have the Latest Patches loaded on your computer.

HTH

I have gotten a few request on how to use my Setup Sheet on the FTP site. Here is a detail outline that I e-mail to several fellow members.

quote:

First, make a copy your “mill9.cfg” file, renaming it to “mill9_white.cfg”

I use this config file to make all the Setup Sheets, because it needs to have a white background for the picture of your part.

Under Screen—Configure, in the bottom left of the System Configuration dialog box, under “Current Configuration file”, click black down arrow and select “mill9_white.cfg”

While still there go to the Screen tab hit radial button System Colors, and change Graphic Background Color to white. Then go to tab “NC Settings” and under box labeled “Setup Sheet” mark Post (uses .SET file)

Click OK and saved configuration information.

By creating mill9_white.cfg, you will never do this again.

Then, from the Main Menu—Tool paths—Operations

You can only have one tool path group for the Setup Sheet. If you have more than one and want them all in one setup sheet, then save the file and THEN remove all the groups with the top group as the ACTIVE GROUP. When done making the setup sheet, just exit without saving. I use this method.

Right click of the Group header, and make sure under Options that the Change NCI designation are all the same for this group. Then right click again, under Options, the bottom choice is Setup Sheet.

You will be asked to save the NCI file (OK to overwrite) and you must say yes, or it won’t work. Click Open to Specify File Name to Read, then Save for Specify File Name to Write.

At the bottom of the screen will come up several questions. The first question you enter 1 for metal and 2 for electrodes. There are different questions for each. Any other number won’t advance you to the next question. Just follow the questions until all have been answered and when dialog box “Done writing setup sheet”, click OK

I use MSWord to open the HTML file. This is where I set the margin to .5 for all four edges. Under Filename:, it is too long, you just need to put a space about midway, Do not use a carriage return. As for the company logo, you can remark out the line in the HTML_DON.SET, or put the name of your logo and its path in place of mine. You can hand-edit anything you forgot, or need. This will print four operation per page with tool descriptions.

Good Luck . . . any more questions, please don’t hesitate. If you need to revise the questions and need help, I will be glad to help.

Remember, this is still in progress, but is useable. We presently used it here as is.

I hope this helps, would like to know other peoples thoughts on this SET file. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

Oops … forgot some instructions banghead.gif

Put HTML_DON.SET in the sub-directory “post” in “mill” folder in “Mcam9” directory

Go to Main Menu – Screen -- Configure

Click tab “Files”

Under “File usage” click “Setup sheet template”

Under “File name” click pic of file cabinet on right, and select HTML_DON.SET

Click OK and accept changes.

Now try it . . . biggrin.gif

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif