Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Inventor 9 converter

Sandybar

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Usually CNC is a bit behind on the translator releases because first Autodesk has to release the release ( rolleyes.gif ) then they had to release the SDK do developers can do stuff, then CNC has to test it.

MasterCAM's translator for Inventor works a little differently than the translators for other file types. For Inventor, MasterCAM uses the Design Tracker re-distributable to actually do the translation. If you have Inventor on the same system as MasterCAM or install the appropriate Design Tracker (from the Inventor CD) you'll be fine for whatever release you are using.

FWIW, I just opened a fairly complex part (the cylender head from the model airplane engine sample assembly), saved from my beta copy of INV9, in V9.1SP2. It came in as a solid and seems just fine. Not a rigorous check, of course, but I'm pretty confident it will work out.

• 1 month later...

You'll need the design tracker installed on your PC to do the conversion. Design tracker(s) can usually be downloaded from here:

Autodesk Data and Downloads page for AIS

but they don't seem to have any R9 files up yet.

If Inventor is being used in your company, you can install the design tracker from the Inventor CD. Assuming the CD is drive D, go to d:binacadfeuiDesignTracking and run setup.

Or you can just put the CD in the CD ROM drive, select 'Install' from the start-up screen, and under Step 3 select Autodesk Inventor View. That will install the viewer and design tracking both. You might also want to install the Vault client if your company is planning on taking advantage of Inventor's document management system.

Once you get the tracker on your system, translation of files created in the new version will work fine.

Thanks Rick and Oppiz. I will get them off of the cd tommorrow when our systems manager is back. I had one of our engineers send me something just to see if it would convert and it was a no go. Glad to see that by installing the latest design tracker everything will be all good. Thanks again. cheers.gif

Greg

Update... installed Design Tracker 9 and I can convert Inventer 9 files, but not Inventor 8 anymore. Design Tracker 9 installed directly over 8. Is there a way to have both design tracker's installed so I can pull in both 8 and 9 version files? confused.gif

Thanks,

Greg

Rick,

It's a standard solid model. When I try and convert an r8 now I get the same thing I got for r9's before I installed design tracker 9. It basically does nothing. Currently we have 2 seats of Inventor (1 is 8 and 1 is now installed as 9), and 2 seats of mcam (1 has design tracker 8 and 1 has design tracker 9 now), but it was a pain today trying to go back and forth. Just was wondering if there was a way to have both design tracker's (8 and 9) on my computer, so we wouldnn't have to keep comverting each others files.

Greg

In the past, we've experienced alot of issues when we installed updates from Mastercam's site. We've now got MCAM working well, fixed the bugs, and we're rather nervous about installing DesignTracker9. Does this work as an update inside of Mastercam, or is it a seperate "program" that does the translation? I guess we'll have to install it, as I don't want to have the only computer that convert IV files! But we are a little wary now about updates throwing our systems in a tizzy.... flame.gif

Just a note.... I still cannot convert inventor 8 files anymore, all I can convert are inventor 9 files. The design tracker was off the inventor disk also. Design tracker 9 was installed over design tracker 8, and that did not work. Design tracker then got completely uninstalled of my puter and then reinstalled and that still didn't work. All our engineer has to do though is open it in Inventor 9 and then save it again and then all is well.

JM2C

Greg