Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Model/vet

Mct010

I have a final school project and we get to do what we want, I thought it would be cool to do a 66 vet or something, does anyone have a cad file of one or any other cool projects that I can surface?

If so, please feel free to share your ideas

Thanks

Mike

OH, BTW, My HD crashed and I lost everything except my MC files, I did copy them to a CD, but lost all the baby pictures, what was I thinking??? banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

If you want to try and model an automobile from scratch, Rhino is the program to use. You can build your wireframe in mastercam if you want. I use both programs in a lot of my design work.

Check out the cars people have modeled on the Rhino website. Pretty cool beans. That head their talking about is from Rhino. Thing is what would be a time consuming process building that surf in MC takes minutes in Rhino [utilizing its 'cross section curves' function]. It comes out flawless. A lot of animation designing is done with Rhino as well.

Have Rnino about 5 months now. I need it for surfs that MC has trouble with. I will usually design 90-95% in MC with Rhino finishing the rest.

But Rhino can also do that 90-95% of the designs if desired. MC cannot do the 5-10% that Rhino can.

MC is the bread and butter program and it is awesome, but Rhino specializes in design only. And man can it do some wild sh..t!

It takes a little getting used to. I find that building wireframes in Rhino takes practice. Once the wireframe is done, surfacing is a cinch once you get the hang of its surface features.

Now while its a little tough at first building wireframes, once you get proficient at it, you'll be amazed by what it can do.

Before you surf, make sure your geo is joined and/or split properly. You can join anything, lines..arcs..splines, makes no differnce. Rhino sees them all as 'nurbs objects'.

I've done the basic tutorials and some others.

I already know the process of how to make various parts I design and program. So I mostly practice those designs in Rhino. A lot of after-market automotive parts. I design spoilers or wings that fit on the back of cars. In MC, I have trouble with some of [most of actually!] the wing's tip ends. A small part of the design but very critical. Rhino can get those tough spots tangent and smooth as a bell.

yea I think its pretty cool how you can actually draw people and faces with it. I'm thinkin of takin the peice of wood on top of my fire place and cuttin out a bunch of faces or skulls in it ,I just have to figure out how to draw them first, hopefully that wont take very long. Then maybe my guitar I could cut some 3d stuff in it prolly some skulls again. I could prolly make some extra cash doin stuff like that on the side.

Slyym, draw your 'head geo' [you can compare it to the rhino head they have as an example].

the head can be drawn using a front cplane profile and a side cplane profile. make sure both profiles are closed and share the point 'at the top of the head'.

after that use the 'cross section curves' feature. its at curve/cross section profile in the top main toolbar. learn to use this! its the key to your head surf. can't explain it in detail but practice playing around with it. basically, once you draw your head's two profiles, cross section curves will automatically 'wrap around' your wireframe. just draw straight lines [ortho on helps] in the top cplane and presto - the curves wrap around the head. with these curves you then create a lofted surface. you got your head. and, you can modify it after making the surfs - make it wider thinner a slightly different shape, etc. - by turning control points on reshaping it as you like [like in the rubby ducky tutorial]. That's rhino's true power: taking a surface model are organically reshaping it via control point editing. In MC this is limited, but rhino can do amazing stuff. you can select and reshape any number of control points to get the effect you want. careful if multiple surfs that you dont separate them. takes a little getting used to but in time you'll be a pro at it. Oh, and one other thing, solidworks can't do that nor any other solid modeler. Maya and some other high-end programs can but they cost like 30 or 40 grand!

For me personally, MC and Rhino can get any part i've been presented with to model and machine out the door - and fast.