Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

file storage

wtsylvester

I was wondering how ya'll go about saving your files

I got in the habit of making directorys off the default mc9 dir by customer names

Then another dir by projects if needed

then another dir by part number or name

Then I could put all the associated info

about that particular part in that dir..oops

excuse me folder:) I can put the supplied cad file in there, any docs. that I have , a simple reminder to myself or others about that particular job etc

use names for the ncfiles..like op1, op2, etc

makes it real easy to find all info later

instead of ALL files being in the mc9 folder

and paging thru till you find a part # or cross referencing from a notebook

So how do you go about it?

Hey I'm getting my post count up if nothing else smile.gif

I have a directory called "Customer Files", then under there I have a directory for each customer. Under there, when a job comes in for quoting I assign it a job number, and create that directory under the customer name directory. In there goes all files relating to that job.

Same as Matt,

But I have a nother Folder under The Part number(Job Number) Folder which is the called by the NC number in there is a Mastercam File where toolpaths where made,NC posted code and Toolsheets setup sheets.I also keep a Machine Redistry of all NC program names made which tells me for what Customer what Part Number and what op in the Process.Its easy to asighn a new Program Number that way its just the next available number.

The redgistry is good so you dont asighn a Nc number twice.For the one Part I might have to make 3 different Program for 3 diffent Machines so the Shop floor Manager can do the Part in different machines depending on work load.

HTH cheers.gif

We build dies. We have a network drive called Jobs. Under that is a folder for each job number (which contains the customer's name), then a folder for each detail number. Everything for that detail is stored in that folder. You'll find a MC9, NC, STL for verfiying...etc all in that folder for that detail.

Thad

We are pulling the files off the network. Make the program on the hard drive, than save the latest and greatest back on the network again for safekeeping and future references. After getting 100 jobs we burn them onto the disks.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

... for me it's

D:ProjectsCompany Name12345678Rev Letter

or if we were looking on the network...

mjamesProjectsCompany Name12345678Rev Letter

I always work through the network so that in my NC file you see the network path just in case I'm not available, on e of the other programmers can find my file and make the necessary changes.

HTH

C:/My Documents/Customer Name/Program Name/

And if there is more than 1 program with the same name,I'll just assign a number after the program name. Such as GMblock2.nc

And in the program I will fully describe the part that it is being machined and which op it is doing.

Then of course there are some sub folders for full assemblies.

We just got DNC MAx and now I have to make a shorter path to the programs so my operators don't have to write out a 30 character prog name to pull them up at their machine.

536 folders and 3,215 files in those folders.

Ugh! that's gonna be a job!

eek.gif