Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT RC - CARS

slyym

Anybody here ever race rc cars, you know the cool ones that cost alot of money. I used to race them and was like # 3 in texas at one time.I also ended up machining alot of cool parts for them as well. there pretty cool

[ 07-16-2004, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: slyym ]

One thing slyym - not that I care but...you can edit your post and put in O.T. before your title since this is an Off Topic subject. Its a forum etiquette thing. Your first day here so naturally you weren't aware of this.

Don't know much about rc racing but it seems you sure do! Wow, #3 in Texas! Cool. Hell, that state is almost as big as our country. cheers.gif

well, you don't sound dumb to me - machining those car parts, etc.!

I admit i feel kinda stupid sometimes in here - like post processor stuff or Rekd's VBScript stuff. I look at it and all greek to me confused.gif But, I give them credit. They make a good effort to try to explain it but it don't sink in. frown.gif

last summer I worked with a guy who builds engines. I saw him crank 700-750 hp out of a 350 chevy.... Quite impressive.

I know his engines were used in sprint cars (knoxville Ia.) with a good record.

While I was there he built a custom alum block beaut. about 600 cu (I think) that cranked out 1280 hp. That one went into pro-stock.

I've played with cars a bit, but my next project is an RC Heli. I've got the main body/gearing, just need to get the 6 to 9 channel radio, 5 servos, a gyro, and an engine. (Prolly another $500 if I buy the cheep stuff eek.gif ) That's NOT including the little mini-mill I'm gonna get, and prolly convert to CNC, to, um.. fix parts...

Here's a video of the owner of a forum I admin..

Heli Trick

REKD, my best advice to you would to buy one of those litemachines, its a fixed pitch .061 sized heli and only requiers a 4 channel radio, and the most important thing is its very inexpensive to fix when you crash it and believe me, you will crash your first heli at least a million times theres just no way around it.So dont go buyin a nice one your first time around, trust me on this one. Or they do make a simulator for computers, its like a video game but instead of a joystick they give you an actual radio that plugs into your computer. Its extremly acurate. But I'm sure the hobby shop you buy your heli from will tell you all this. I have one of those litemachines sittin in my closet, its been there for like 3 years, I kinda got bored with it. Go here www.litemachines.com and chech it out.

quote:

you will crash your first heli at least a million times

+10000

I have a Raptor that has only been about two feet off the ground. Seems like everytime I fly it, I gotta repair it. I got the necessary parts to repair from the last crash, but never fixed it.

I did manage to get past the crashin stage, and its f@#$#! cool as hell when your finally able to fly around and do loops and chase birds and hover about 2 feet away from your face. Its deffinetly worth all the trouble you just have to stick with it for a couple months and spend a whole lotta money.

quote:

you will crash your first heli at least a million times

hehe +1000 to that also. I had my collective linkage work loose - heli went straight up, engine quit, came straight down about 1000 feet, only the tail rotor and main blades were above ground! Scratch one Shuttle! mad.gif

That Shuttle was tough though - prior to this last crash - it had been through 4 reincarnations and I was doing well with it.

I've already got the heli, a .3 JR Venture. I am planning on getting a sim for it. I'm gonna get the radio first, (I'll get at least 8 channel, so I don't have to upgrade later), then get the sim that will work with the radio I get. I need one that's 120° CCPM compatable.

I'm gonna spend quite a while on the sim. I generally do really good with games/sims, (as Gary will attest wink.gif ), so I'm hoping I can pull this off without completely scrapping the heli in the first few months of flight. biggrin.gif

I'm hoping to get the mini-mill before I actually leave the ground.

Check here

About the tenth or eleventh post in this thread with the amazing nitro dragster specs that Rekd posted it starts to go into nitro RC a bit. And Tony also posted a link to an amazing video of a nitro RC jumping a house a few more posts down.

I have never "officially" raced any of my 1/8 scale cars because of the reckless drivers who must have all day and limitless resources to fix the equipment they destroy which is sometimes yours but I love to work on them and don't mind when I destroy something and have to fix it. I too like to run the upper-end cars and the Kyosho Inferno has won the off road world title several times in the 1/8 scale 4WD category so I went with a couple of them so I always have at least one car that is running. I leave one setup with street tires and run it around parking lots and such when I need a nitro fix and don't feel like cleaning the mud, sand or dirt off.

And Rekd, don't they have a way to train on the sim right through the same controller that you use with the heli model itself. USB plugs er sumpin'?

Teh- destroy your vitual heli and save the real one!

yea its pretty funny, on my litemachines heli, it uses the exaust for the throttle and all that was holding the exaust on were two little macine screws that your supposed to check every once in a while and of course i didnt, and well i was flyin it one day and the exaust vibrated off which meant FULL THROTTLE with no way of cuttin it off so i had to fly it around at full throttle and finnaly ending up having to make a crash landing. let me tell ya, there wasnt much left, but that had to have been the best flight ever.

I know this isnt the same thing. But I have been slowly working on building a rc m1a1 tank for myself and kid. I love doing little projects like this with my kid.

tank1.jpg

Atm I am working on its transmission, motors, and lights.

I will probaly have it done in a year I hope smile.gif

Also some fun stuff I did with my oldest kid, (4) We built a trebechet together. I let him help me cut wood and screw it all together..

trib1.jpg

trib3.jpg

I know the treb is unrelated but fun none the less. biggrin.gif

I have been building an eleven foot RC Missouri(sp) Battleship for a few years now. Man, it is a lot of work. I am making a slite mod. Instead of shooting "BB's", I will be shooting lead pellots!!! Look out birds......and anyone else on the lake that can't see me hiding in the bushes.......j/k

Sorry to hijack as usual… smile.gif

Madbub,

The wooden catapult thing reminds me of growing up in Montana when one of the kids and his father brought this apparatus to class (It was some huge at about 5 or 6 feet square) the man just loaded up a pencil and paper and did all these magnificent geometric designs – I gather the Spirograph toys came out a few years later, but it was so amazing for us youngins when we saw this (est. 1963) some kid did the live volcano thingy which also blew everybody away. Amazing technology never fails to astound me – even today.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack