Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

favorite sport

biss03

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

hmmmm, that's odd. I heard yesterday on the news (here) that he met with NCAA officials last week where they laid out what he needs to do (pay back money paid to him - rumored to be in the several thousands).

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yeah it is a trip. Sometime this week is the PAC-10 Media Day. I would imagine the Mike Williams issue will be talked about at length so we'll be able to hear it from the coach's mouth, hopefully anyway...

The main thing is he's such an impact player, I'd imagine that every single one of SC's opponents DON'T want him on the field. They know he'll hurt them, what's worse than that is that he's one of 3-4 options. How do you defend that??? It's very difficult as was proven last year when SC outscored it's opponents by a HUGE margin, though Defense forced it's fair share of turnovers too. Either way with Mike or without Mike, SC will be strong on both sides of the ball. With over 50 returning players... it does not bode well for for SC's opponents this year, and once again they recruited VERY strong.

James teh optimist

your right..none of their opponents want him on the field. but from a college football fans perspective, i hope he doesn't get reinstated for the simple fact that it will open all kinds of troubles for the ncaa in the future and they have enough problems that can't seem to handle right now!

i thought USC had quite a few players taken in the draft this year. i know a lot of the returning players probably got some valuable P.T. with all the blowouts last year but that still doesn't compare to being in the game when it counts. should be interesting to see how the team turns out (although not as interesting as seeing how long it is until the fans and alumni start calling for the firing of TY this season. and based on their schedule, my money will be saying its no later than sept. 25th after 3 embarrassing losses to byu,michigan, and michigan st. with games still to come against tenn, pitt, and you know who. i just don't believe he'll be the coach when we make the trip out to SC to visit you.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

..., i hope he doesn't get reinstated for the simple fact that it will open all kinds of troubles for the ncaa in the future and they have enough problems that can't seem to handle right now

I think his situation is a little different (and I would say that even if it were a #1 player at say UCLA, Notre Dame or any other player for any other school) because of the NFL Draft thing which will never come up again as the Supreme COurt ruled that the NFL Players Collective Bargaining Agreement was constitutional and was binding. A few players were given information that lead them to believe that they had a legitimate opportunity to get the "3 years out of High School rule" overturned. I don't think it will happen again. Someting else that I believe makes him eligible for return to College Football is that he did not sign with a team or recieve a signing bonus, he did not sign any endorsement deals. If those things would have happened then I'd have to agree he should not be allowed to return.

I'll try to find out how many starters are returning. I believe that Reggie Bush and Keary Colbert were the only notables to go in the draft. Their backup guys saw signifigant reps.

quote:

...firing of TY ...

My mind is drawing a blank for his name. A little help... biggrin.gif You gotta give him 4 years though... it takes that long just to get "his" people in there and running his system, besides we need a couple more years to beat up on you guys before the pendulum swings back wink.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

Are you really coming out here for the game???

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I heard that a ref shot a coach...

Yep. He got a little too mouthy for the ref's liking. Let that be a lesson to those coaches out there who just jaw on refs for the whole game... biggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

quote:

Are you really coming out here for the game???

I wish i could. My cousin (a huge ND fan) and I talked about going but after seeing what it would cost for tickets and travel and lodging, i realized i couldn't afford it as of right now. of course i'm hoping i hit the lottery or something then look out Southern California cuz here i come!!

if ND has another subpar season (meaning getting blown out by michigan,tenn., USC) then i think the administration will have no choice but to fire willingham and go after a big name coach (carroll perhaps? we have lots of money to throw at him! biggrin.gif ) if they play better but still lose close games, he may get that 4th year but i don't see it happening.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...go after a big name coach (carroll perhaps?

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

I think the USC Alumni would pool together their resources (probably enough to buy a small country) and make him the highest paid college football coach before that happened. The NFL dangled a coaching position at him and he didn't bite. I don't believe he'd leave for ND anyway.

quote:

The NFL dangled a coaching position at him and he didn't bite. I don't believe he'd leave for ND anyway.

I'm not suprised he didn't take the NFL job - his niche is in the college game. Imagine being the one responsible for turning around such a historic program such as ND after doing it once already at USC (and being nationally televised every week wouldn't hurt either). that would be pretty big for the ego and the resume!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You're right, his niche is the College Game. Anyway, you can't have him! biggrin.giftongue.gif Besides his daughter is getting a free ride there and his son works for him. Sounds like a good gig to me. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Was listening to ESPN Radio on the way in this morning. They had a great take on Mike Williams. Basically, in a nutshell, i fthey have to bend the Academic rules, he should not play. I agree. That's the one area that they absolutely positively cannot and should not bend or waver on.

With or without Williams USC is picked by the media to be the PAC-10 Champion. cheers.gif Once again SC had a phenominal recruiting year.

quote:

"The NCAA has gone through many levels in terms of Mike's eligibility status, in terms of his amateur status," Carroll said Wednesday. "He should get an answer sometime around Aug. 10, or after that, when we are in camp. He has been through many ups and downs, and it's been challenging."

Click on link below for story.

Fox

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

ESPN/Coaches Poll

1. USC

2. Oklahoma

Iowa, Florida, Miami (Fl.) - not sure about the rank of these lesser teams.. biggrin.giftongue.gif but they are in the top 5...

Go SC!!!

hey americans - get global. aussie rules football, if u actually watched a game (with an aussie to explain the rules) you would realise it is a fantastic sport to watch. and the game is never over - my team was 73 points behind halfway through a game 3 years ago, and we still won by 12 points. thats what makes it exciting. but my favourite american sport is without a doubt ice hockey. go the avalanches!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

In his last nine games, Leinart threw for 2,632 yards and 30 scores while completing 65.5% of his passes and getting picked off only three times. At one point, over the course of eight games, he didn’t throw an interception in 212 consecutive attempts. Statically, we’re talking about USC’s most efficient passer ever and somebody who threw for more scores in a single season than any other quarterback in the history of the QB-rich Pac-10.

quote:

...It might seem inappropriate to proclaim Leinart the probable Heisman recipient before knowing if the NCAA will allow Williams to terrorize the Pacific-10 Conference once again...

james.. what is up with this:

quote:

USC player target of sexual assault investigation

taking after the beloved florida schools theory of what you can do when you are the national champs?

not exactly the kind of press ole pete's looking for a week before the season starts.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I just heard last night. No concrete details but lots of speculation and chatter on USC Message Boards. If it's true, it's just shameful. If the allegations are false, those darn Bruins need a good arse whoopin!

Lots of chatter though. There's only one name that's been floating around... Dennis. LAPD is staying mum and so is USC. Not good weather true or not. Unacceptable behaviour, absolutely positively unacceptable. mad.gif

quote:

...I can't wait for VA Tech to upset the Trojans.

Figures a comment like that would come from somebody who's team got WORKED LIKE RENTED MULES biggrin.giftongue.gif j/k

Had SC went undefeated last year I would say it's a little more than possible. They have something to prove this year so I look for them to come out focused and now with the crap going on with these allegations they may bear down even more. So we'll see. 10 days and counting.