Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Inventor work points,converting

Oppiz

I'm trying to bring "work points" into MC that are drawn in Inventor. These points are for Wire EDM start holes of a die cavity. Is there something I can do MC to bring these in or is there something that could done different in Inventor.

Using Mastercam V9 you should be able to select File, Convert, Autodesk, Read file and under the file type pull down select from DWG, DXF, IPT or IAM. IPT would be int Inventor part file. This should bring in any points, arc, lines, splines or solids you created in Inventor. If there are problems you may need to download/install the latest translator updates.

Hope that helps...

quote:

This should bring in any points, arc, lines, splines or solids you created in Inventor

Not work points. The points I'm trying to convert are "phantom" points that will be drilled out for a start point for wire EDM. These points are called out on the drawing so when the part is machined on the mill then wired, I can program both machines consistently. In Inventor these points are place inside a die cavity as a "work point" because they have no physical property. They are in space.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...work points...

quote:

...phantom points...

DIctionary.com defines phantom as...

quote:

phan·tom also fan·tom ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fntm)

n.

Something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but
having no physical reality
; a ghost or an apparition.

Something elusive or delusive.

An image that appears only in the mind; an illusion.

headscratch.gif

Why don't you really create a point so it will come through??? headscratch.gif

Keep in mind, as I said before, these are start holes for the wire EDM. They are located inside a die cavity. In other words when the part is completed the holes will no longer exist. The wire starts at these holes the burns out the cavity. The holes are in the scrap slug.

Yes, I can put these points in myself with MC, but sometimes there maybe several holes. These points exist in Inventor, they just wont translate in MC. I'm just trying to make life a little less redundant.

OPPIZ,

The intent of work points within Inventor is to establish a work point to do something else like defining a plane or defining a feature such as a hole.

I might suggest installing a .01 dia hole x .01 deep within Inventor to give you the necessary points for Mc wire.

If you think this process in reverse – I don’t believe you would want the effort of deleting planes and points when converting to Mc or solids.

Regards, Jack

oppiz,

quote:

These points exist in Inventor, they just wont translate in MC

Just an Autocad 2000 user here, but if these points exist in the Inventor file they must have physical attributes defining them in "space" on a level/layer right ? Perhaps that level/layer is locked or prevented from being exported by something within Inventor ? Just a thought.

quote:

So you're saying you can't create a REAL point in Inventor that will import into Mastercam???

I'm not a Inventor expert just, I know the basics. this what a designer told me. " the only way you can place a point in Inventor on something like this is using work point." Maybe he's wrong???

Inventor supports "disjointed solids". So maybe you could place an actual feature (sphere or cylinder) at the point location that would allow you to select it in MC. I understand what your trying to do, but don't really have a good work around for you other than what I suggested. This would be a good request to make of CNC Software, Inc. It would be nice to be able to get these features into MC without a work around.

I just tried this and it seems to work. I created a sphere around the work points that I floated in a cavity and they come into MC floating at the proper locations.

Hope this helps, If you can't get the functionality you need soon you might want to make an ifeature that you could use to create these markers with. You may also want to post this question on the Inventor forumn.

p.s. IowaJim Inventor isn't autoCAD. It doesn't even have layers ;>)... You should try it I'm sure you would like. It is way easier to get drawing and designs done with IV than acad and it's prettier to boot.