Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Machining Be-Cu (beryllium copper)

T_MALENA

I have a job here, the matl is BE-CU c17200,

1.8-2.0% Beryllium. I read a post from a few weeks back, the matl was berylliun copper. Also suggestions were made on how to turn, drill & mill this stuff. The grinding comments worry me! Like use a breathing mask! Is berylliun copper all the same? Is there differences in Be content?

My assumption is that the higher Be content the higher the risk.

Does anyone have specific ways of grinding this stuff?

By the way this is my 1st post question. Although I've been reviewing all the postes in the forum for a while.

Beryllium Copper is split into two groups. 1) The beryllium content is greater than 1% which has a higher strenght and hardness. 2) The beryllium content is less than 1% which has a higher electrical and thermal conductivity.

I would take the same precautions as far a safety, for any beryllium copper. As far as grinding, I have ground it using a wax type lubricant like from a bandsaw. It doesn't like to grind very well. It has a machinabilty rating of 20 out of 100. HTH, Good luck.

Please go here http://www.brushwellman.com/alloy/products...ar/rod_bar.asp#

MSDS, suggested precautions for machining etc. All available from Brush Wellman.

This is probably not the appropriate forum nor are most of us probably qualified to give advice on respirators and there usage, I suggest reading the MSDS and safety guidelines published by the material manufacturer. Then I also suggest in the future potentially hazzerdous materials be machined by the responsible manager in the company until he is prepared to put the proper safetey precautions in place.

CAM teh "just do'nt breathe"

CAMmando thanks for the link. I did read the MSDS shhets on this stuff, but also wanted to hear from real world shops.

I do like the idea of the guy who brought the job in(the salsman) running it! I'll tell him not to worry, "just hold your breath"

We machine that stuff too... Should be an MSDS sheet that would tell you exactly what to do as far as respirators / gloves, whatever... Wherever you got the material from will have that... we machine it wet as much as we can, but the guys that do the manual work, they all wear masks / have ventilation, etc... Nasty stuff...