Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stuck toolchanger

Camdude®

Gentlemen,

i have a DeckelMaho DMU 50 eVOLUTION with the spindle stuck at the tool change position. the spindle has dropped down on top of the holder and then it stopped. We have air pressure to the system and electric to the machine. i have looked foir the obvious causes but can't see anything. does anyone know of a problem with these toolchangers and if so how do i free up the spindle. curse.gif

Phil

I don't know your machine but on our Okuma VMCs with the umbrella style toolchanger we have a lot of these issues; its really the only problem with the machine. So much of a problem, in fact, that Robert E. Morris [Okuma's distributor] has a recovery procedure that steps you through the correction of this hang-up that they fax out to everyone who calls them for this. In the Okuma there is a parameter change sequence that takes about 30 seconds [now that I've done it 50 times] that corrects the problem immediately; I'd call the machine tool rep's service department and see if they can walk you through it.

C

In Sinumeric Deckel_maho it is more complex .

yes ,ther exists a standart recovery procedure ,but the picture can be very complex ,depending on what stage ,how (you pressed reset ,alarm ,turned off controller ,what active parameter value ,what error message and so on ).

Sometimes even repair technitian can not solve this ,they call Germany ,suppotr guy from ther runs simulator and stage bu stage prepares specific recovory ladder (go to parameter # ,set value .. ,parameter # ,set value ,proceed there and so on ).

If you do not know the password ,you have no access to this parameter pages .

So if you can not get from this prob through standart recovery procedure ,you are *****ed .

But do not turn off the power ,otherwise you also will not have zero return state ,wich makes the picture much worser .

HTH

WTHH

Gentlemen and bears,

thanks for the info, our tool changer is not

circular fixture that rotates to access a new tool but rather 2 tracks that use chainlike drive to locate tools for toolchange. the spindle locates over the tool then drops down on it then

moves in an X vector to remove the tool from the toolchanger.

So I can not say much . frown.gif

I suppose by analogy there exists recovery procedure ,in my type of toolchanger it is on Deckel-maho->tool change page .you have backward and forward stage options ,and in the middle between these two damn keys on the board there is one more -reset alarm condition key,pressing which can help you to use the forward and backward ones.

If it is the same,always try at first backward button ,cause you never know ...

That`s if it is the same.

Be cautious and good luck !

Most tool changers have switches that must make during each step of the tool change process. I usually find that one of these is at fault.

example hsk unbrella.

1-head into position tool off. unbrella must be out.

2-unbrella in.

3-tool unclamp.

4-head up.

5-unbrella rotate to next tool.

6-head down.

7-tool clamp.

8-unbrella out.

If the prox switches don't make during any step then the tool change will fail. Use your M-codes to reverse the process and see where the failure is.

Last problem I had with my Fadal "umbrella" toolchanger was when it 1/2-position indexed, then tried to move into the spindle to grab the tool. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang..... CRAP - BIG RED BUTTON.... Turns out that on my servo-type umbrella tool changer, when coolant gets into the photo-optic indexer on the servo moter - it goes pretty much ballistic. The covers really don't keep coolant out of the works when you have been busy blowing it all over the place while cutting. Drying everthing out and then going through the setup procedures for about 2 hours had me back in business. I am glad that Fadal makes their manuals so easy to access online.

Phil,

Our DMU 50e would get stuck during a toolchange pretty often. You may want to make sure the sensor and reflector are cleaned. Coolant would block the sensor and the machine could not recognize the tool during a toolchange. They are easy to find, once the double doors slide open they are right in front of the carousel. We ended up making covers for them.

How's the new job going? .... Kulpsville ... Greene Tweed maybe ?