Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe help

Roger Peterson

Is it possible to define a Ball endmill or say an indexable drill. Use this tool to do a drilling toolpath and then use the same tool to do a turning toolpath to rought out the hole that it just drilled to a larger diameter. So basically is there a way to define a tool that will work in a drill operation as well as a turning operation?

I am going to try a few things as soon as I post this but since the tools are defined differently I'm not sure if it will work.

Thank you,

Roger

I think that if you define the tool as an endmill, MC might not let you turn a rad because there is no front or back clarance on a 90 deg tool.

Perhaps try defining it as an 86 deg custom tool (the widest end is the cutting end). This way you have back clearance and MC can do collision checking during the rad cutting.

p.s. Iscar has a really nice tool that you can use for drilling, boring, as well as facing and OD turning. It works quite well for reducing toolchanges. You need to remember to reverse the spindle for the OD ops, of course.

Please post or send me a file Reece. I'm looking to use something with the rough shape of a bullnose endmill. Maybe .625 diameter with a .125 corner radius. I definately appreciate it. I have tried a couple of things but I haven't had much time so anything to get me going would be great.

Peter, do you have customers using the iscar tool? How do they program using it for turning and drilling?

Thanks again,