Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rust

METAL CHIPS

I believe that there is something out there, for WEDM, personaly I have never used anything beside spraying the parts with M1 before loading them into the machine, to much will kill your filter life over time though.

If you are using de-ionized water, and your water isent to hard, you can spray a 4140 block with M1 and have it in the machine for 24 hours without any serius rust, the area you cut will always get some corosion, but you want to beat-blast you part anyways.

Lars

I use Checkmate from Electrodes Inc. I have also used one from Hirschman, but I noticed it left a gummy residue in my tank after I cleaned it and left if empty over the weekend if I didn't dry it off.

The Checkmate is very effective for runs up to 36 hrs. I see some small spotting at the tops and bottoms of the parts but the centers look good after clean-up. I use a cleaner called Xylomate from them as well. You spray it on brush it around and in about a minute you have a clean part with no bead blasting. You must rinse it with water to get it off or it will rust anything it sits on. Works on all metals.

I run alot of small detialed parts out of 3" x 6" plate. Usually about 50 pieces that all have to fit together to form assemblies for mold cavities and the combination of the preventative and cleaner keeps everything looking nice.

What kind of machine are you running?

You have to be careful not to mix it with other rust preventatives. My tank is approximatley 200 gallons and after I clean it out I slowly add 1 gallon of the chemical as I am refilling the water. When I pull monthly maintenance I add 4 oz. to keep the saturation level maintained.

AC 500 is a great cleaning product for you machine, however be carefull on using it on parts, it cleans rust great but it also leavse the surface unprotected because of the acid. I normally use it when my filters are almost shot, because the acid will kill your paper filters.

I buy it directly from my Mits dealer.

Lars

P.S. It also made my kitchen table look like new biggrin.gif

We sometimes get a light film of rust on parts coming out of the wire edm.

Our guy cleans it off with germicidal bowl cleaner made by Spartan company.

Works great but not sure if it has any adverse effects on the metal. rolleyes.gif

They also make a natural (non toxic citris)product that they claim will remove rust too.