Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Jumping Islands in pockets

John Q

I am machining a mold cavity with islands in it.

It is 17 inches deep and the islands are 16 inches

tall. I used the surface pocket routine with depths. My problem is there is not enough z travel on the cnc machine and I am having to used 3 different tools one longer than the other. The first tool works great for the first depth. The second one cuts good but it tries to jump the islands and the second tool is to long. There is not enough z travel on the machine to jump the islands. How can you make the tool stay down and just cut around the islands and not jump them using the surface poscket routine. Thank You!!!!!

I am not sure I explained myself well.

I am using 3 surface pocket routines with

three different tools If that helps.

I have tried to change the clearance and retract

heights but it still jumps the islands when it machines. I was told be someone to change gap

size to 20 and that would work but it did not change anything.

My settings were :

True spiral pocket type spiral inside to outside ,unselected prompt for entry point ,

gap settings motion -smooth ,optimize cut order on and it looks nice on verify but you can scrap part anyway ,cause you have G0 movements under part and nor backplot nor verify can show you the real movement cause it`s machine specific.

Change all your Go x y movements to g1

or what I would do :

split your part to separate pockets and mill them ,100 % safe

HTH

It looks good in verify but if you

look at it in the front view of backplot

you can see it is still jumping up to the

top of the islands and the tool is too long

for that. Thank for the information!

I am in trouble on this thing so I appreciate

any advice you can give me!

I understand how to make check surfaces and I understand how to create geometry at the different levels I want to machine. But I am not sure what you mean by check boundries.

I did split the surfaces up at different levels and tried that but it still jumped up and cut off the top of the islands. I am almost there thanks

from mc help

A tool containment boundary is a closed chain of curves that defines and limits the machining area in an operation. Using a tool containment boundary ensures that the tool stays within the specified area. A tool containment boundary is usually geometry created specifically for that purpose. The graphics below show an example of a tool containment boundary (isometric view) where the boundary is purple and located slightly above the surface. The tool containment boundary can be at any Z depth relative to the part.

Hey guys Thanks

I did try boundary I have used them before but not to control z depths it made the tool stay within that boundary in x and y but it still jumps the islands in z. Maybe I needed 2 boundaries at 2 depths? Also if you look at the file I tried cut depths, that controlled how deep it cut per surface pocket routine but it still jumps the islands. I also tried gap settings