Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

spindle probing

Camdude®

Does anybody here use spindle probing to CMM a part while it is on the machine. we have spindle probing capability here but it is not being used. i would like to incorporate it here, but would like some feedback on how effective it is. i like the idea of being able to probe the part before it comes off the machine and make corrections "on the fly". can probe info be passed back thru the controller to a spreadsheet database? is it easy to setup or do i need a rocket scientist to do it for me? i would like to use a post functions to drive the probe. can you run a tool then probe or do you have to wait till the ptogram runs thru? i have searched the forum on this topic but there isn't a lot of info on the subject.

headscratch.gif thanks for the help. phil

We probe our parts on the machine using macro programming. I would say it's consistent within .0002". We run the probe after the part is done so machining/probing/machining is not an issue. I'm sure it could be done though... We actualy run the probe 2x after completing the part. Once when the steel is clamped (hydraulics), and the second time in the free state. It's definitely a nice option, as it saves a trip to the inspection room.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

In the past I have used a probe to check bore diameters, adjust CDC, re-machine, check again and continue. With probes, the sky is the limit as to what you want to do with it. The parts I run right now are not that critical so probing is not really necessary. I am however in the process of setting it up to probe second operation fixtures to reset fixture offsets as the pallet may run in more than one machine. Probes are awesome. You can do a lot with them.

I have probes on all my machines along with laser tool setters. In my environment part checking is not an issue and the CMM capibilities are used on the rare occasion. Mostly the probes and lasers are used for setting offsets and the obvious tool setting. The students think it is "real cool" and is gives me a , perhaps false- but never-the-less a feeling of safety knowing that hardware rather than untrained students is inputing critical data. I use Marposs products and have been pleased with the ease of use and programability. With student projects most setups and jobs are 1-off's so the ease of setup is important. Great tools.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

They are easy to set up. They do need to be installed by a factory tech. Your machine will need Custom Macro B. I've added probing to my post from a custom drill cycle.

I have used renishaw probe with infared sensor on the fadal 2015. I made the macros to set position from a tooling ball ,bore,boss or corner of a part. I used Verisurf to make the toolpath and to collect the points for inpection.

You need to laser calbrate your machine like a cmm. I used it to collect 3d points from a surface. As mentioned before, it will save you a trip to inspection.

Very cool thing

Billy