Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

shutdown and lose file

jeff

This has happened to me twice now in as many days.

Create a new file,draw a few entities and save with file descriptor and then BAM! "Were sorry for the inconvenience,Mill9.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"

curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gif

I try to re-open the file,it has saved the name,but no geometry.

I am about ready to get a BF hammer and smash something.

A couple of things to check here off the top of my head.

First, has the computer hardware been updated recently? I've seen a problem before where certain graphics cards (namely ATI) can make Mastercam crash while saving. It wouldn't to be to do with the decriptor, but rather the small bitmap image that gets created at the same time. The easiest fix would be to stop Mcam creating the bitmap (you can switch that off from the Save window)

Secondly, if I assume that you are saving the file on the local hard disk, and not over a network, it would be worth doing a Defrag (aka Disk Defragmenter, from the Start Button, go to Programs, Accessories, System Tools). This keeps the hard disk optimised, and it's useful to run it every few months if you use the computer frequently.

If neither of these help or apply to you, please reply with the spec of your pc, operating system and version of Mastercam. Hopefully someone will have some other ideas.

Crashed and the entities you made are lost. The file size shows memory, but no entities on the screen. Sounds familiar, it has happened to me.

In my case, I had named the MC9 files that would crash and lose all data with spaces. I renamed the files and deleted the spaces or just replaced them with _

Not saying this is your case but I've never had a crash since. Maybe a rare crash, but all data remained intact.

At any rate, avoid "spaces" when naming your files like the plague. You probably already know this, nonetheless, it is a good reminder.

Jeff, this also happened when I saved after typing a file descriptor!!

Our reseller tried all kinds of suggestions. We weren't sure if it was a system configuration, a problem with the graphic's card, or whatever. Finally, we both realized that the files that were crashing had spaces in the name. My rookie mistake, wish they would have solved it earlier. I always had backup files as a precaution, autosaving using a different MC file name.

Since I renamed the files I have never had a problem since.

It was explained to me that Windows does not like spaces in its file names.

Anyway, sounds like we may be on to something. Rename file and, of course, eliminate any spaces.

Play around with it and see if it crashes anymore. [save a backup in case biggrin.gif ]

This used to torment me!! I have never had a problem since.

Hope it solves your problem, Jeff.

One other point.

Jeff, you mentioned you've always put spaces in your file names but never had problems before. This sounds exactly right! It usually won't bother you. Most files I named with spaces [though not anymore I renamed them all] acted normally. Other files crashed losing all data. It only happens intermittenly. But if a certain file did crash, it would almost always crash.

Just want to check that you aren't also saving under a large number of sub-directories (or long folder/file names) on your computer. I think I recall that there is a total limit to the numbers of characters that you can have in your file path in V8 - something like 140 - 160 characters. If it is any longer than V8 can crash while you are saving the file....

Rich .

In my humble opinion things are worse when you have Fat32 filesystem.]

I wrote a lot of times before avoid spaces amd points

Winnie_teh_pooh.mc9 good name

Winnie teh pooh and winnie.te.pooh.mc9 are bad names

~~~~~~~~

Just want to check that you aren't also saving under a large number of sub-directories (or long folder/file names) on your computer.

~~~~~~~

+1000 especially on Fat32 filesystem (full path name 255 letters)

HTH