Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

copied surfaces

DavidB

Hi all,

I have a large surfaced modal.

I copied some surfaces to a different Level for a local toolpath.I then trimed some of the copied surfaces on the New Level.The toolpaths that I already did using the surfaces on the origanal level now need a regen mad.gif

Why?

The toolpaths that need regen are using the origanal surfaces on the origanal Level.

Thx cheers.gifcheers.gif

I ended up unblanking the origanal surface and trimiming that no problems.

I still dont see why if I copy a surface to a different Level edit the Copied surface what has that got to do with the origanal Toolpathed suraface. Because even when you copy a trimed surface it also copy's the Parent surface with it.

cheers.gifcheers.gif

I come across something similar alot b/c I have a 4 1/2 axis trunion type table (90 degrees B+ travel but only -5 degrees B- travel)so I sometimes need to split my part into halves to machine them with 2 separate programs. I usually put half the part on one level and the other half on another, then write the toolpaths as you describe. I found that if I regen the left half toolpath with that level turned off, it will regen and backplot OK but the finished nc file goes haywire with the tool going in a series of small arcs when trying to follow a spline. Apparently you need the correct level turned on...but I'm not really sure why.

confused.gif

Anybody care to enlighten us?

Thanks.

quote:

I copied some surfaces to a different Level for a local toolpath.I then trimed some of the copied surfaces on the New Level.The toolpaths that I already did using the surfaces on the origanal level now need a regen

I've never run into this problem and I use copied/xformed surfaces all the time....

You mentioned something about unblanking the original surface...This might be the problem, perhaps some leftover associativity hiding in the file somewhere screwing things up..I know it used to happen with offset surfaces.

What I do is put the complete model on one level, then make copies of it on different levels and start trimming them. I never use blank when trimming, only delete. If I run into problems, I always have a copy of the complete model on a different level to grab things from.

quote:

I found that if I regen the left half toolpath with that level turned off, it will regen and backplot OK but the finished nc file goes haywire with the tool going in a series of small arcs when trying to follow a spline. Apparently you need the correct level turned on...but I'm not really sure why.

...this sounds strange as well. This is something else I do all the time, regening paths on levels that aren't turned on, and have never had a preoblem with it...?