Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

horizontal 4th axis roughing help

germ

I'm asked this ? yesterday and got no response, but i figured it was worth another shot. i've seen alot of talk about unrolling geometry for 4-axis rotary work. Is this possible with a part shape that has a highly faceted suface (748)? are there any advantages to turning surface into a solid for 4-axis work? if anyone is curios my file is in ftp mc9/g_4-axis_roll.mc9. any input would be Greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

If you got no responce you reply yourself with one word like this

bump

and your topic will return to the top .

This is a common practice

I do not work with 4-th axes and horizontal too

but I prefer always stay away from solids in milling ,there are some issues and use it only in design

HTH

rr

Not everything can be unrolled.

As far as modeling is concerned, Solids vs Surfs

I've had nothing but good luck both ways. The only

problem I've seen is sometimes when you try to mix

the two on a big model. Crash, bang, boom eek.gif

Solid are certainly the way to go if your not up to

snuff on your surface creation.

PEACE biggrin.gif

Hi germ,

I put a file on the ftp called g-4-axis-j.mc9 as an example of how to get mastercam to do rotary feeding. I created cross sections of your part using create curves, slice and then created a revolved surface of the larger outer contour half of the part (minus all the .392 rad slots) and used the flow 5axis with just 4th axis activated.

Where I work though, I usually write rotary feed programs manually with bull nose endmills and a tilt under the rotary, or sometimes have special endmills made with angled ends, we don't have high speed capability and need to keep nc file size to a minimum. Hope this helps.