Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surf Cam vs MasterCam

Kozal

quote:

I wasn't referring to mastercam or mentioned it in my last reply, i'm merely stating that "you pay for what you get" doesn't always apply to everything.

No. What you said, was:

quote:

quote:

You get what you pay for.

That may be the case for electronics, cars or equipment, but not for software.

I can list many examples where free or low cost software is better or equivalent than their higher priced counterparts. For example linux, mozilla firefox/thunderbird, paintshop pro.

You specifically singled out software. Mastercam is software.

Nice try at a back-peddle, though. Keep watching the Democrats, you'll get better. wink.gif

Indeed the consensus is that Mastercam is #1 and I wouldn't trade it for any other milling program out there. However, I think one seat is enough. I'm a small shop, but always need help with the workload. Sharing a SIMM is a pain. So, I bought two seats of Rhino, one for me and one for my programmer. I can use Rhino anywhere, on any machine. My programmer works a project up in Rhino (CAD only) and then I use the Rhino to Mastercam interface (plugin) to import the Rhino model into Mastercam. Then I do all the milling in Mastercam or when my programmer needs to, I give him the MILL SIMM. This may not work for everybody, but my point is that you don't need a MILL seat for everybody, just enough seats to cover the milling workload.

Winnie Teh Pooh, yes netHasp. It is priced for those who have (I believe) five or more seats. For myself, I only need two. It is nice to be able to work CAD/CAM in the same program, but outsourcing work using Rhino has proven to be more cost effective for us. Unfortunately, cost is always a factor in these economic trying times. smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Mackius - looks like you should be a direct customer of ours based on your location.

A private email to you bounced back. Care to contact me via email, or update your profile with a valid email address?...

:popcorn:

Are the spidey senses tingling???

quote:

A private email to you bounced back. Care to contact me via email, or update your profile with a valid email address?

Message sent. via that email thingie on your profile. My version is legal, and don't assume i'm thief or something, i know where this is going.

quote:

quote:

I wasn't referring to mastercam or mentioned it in my last reply, i'm merely stating that "you pay for what you get" doesn't always apply to everything.

No. What you said, was:

quote:

quote:

You get what you pay for.

That may be the case for electronics, cars or equipment, but not for software.

I can list many examples where free or low cost software is better or equivalent than their higher priced counterparts. For example linux, mozilla firefox/thunderbird, paintshop pro.

You specifically singled out software. Mastercam is software.

Nice try at a back-peddle, though. Keep watching the Democrats, you'll get better.

:crickets:

Linux ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is sure better than Windowzer !

But have you ever used it ?

If so you knows that it is not a choice for a Cad?Cam now .

Yes ,you have there qcad ,but this is pure 2d

and limitied .

I am an old great fan of Linux .

I can do on it wonders.

But I am a realist .

It is not an argument here .

Mastercam is a good choice for evryone and you get a lot for a money ,enough for any Cam task.

In CNC production main factor not a Cad/Cam choice ,but a programmer .

Not to brag ,but I am sure that I was succesful and would be with any CAD/Cam system ,but I know a couple of programmers personally ,that no Cad/Cam in the world would help them to be so .

I don`t like the statements like this

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much cheaper to got with a low cost cadcam seats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is at least misunderstanding of basic things .

See some of my friend Iskander tricks here

LIDT and you`ll seee what I mean .

In real life production you never know what functionality you will need tomorrow ,why to castrate yourself with your own hands?

+1ooo to Rekd :

Cimatron ,Powermill,Catia ,Unigrafics ,the same Surfcam (It`s dead ,but at least ...) real choices .

Who neads today a limitied package with nice look and Icons ?

I looked on their site for features ,that made me laugh !

If you do not know ,how to do some things in MC ,ask your ? and you will know ,but man ,to compare them ,that`s not fair !

What you will say after X will get out tomorrow .

Al this is a B$.

Noone programmer would like an idea to use a couple of Cad/cams instead of one and good luck in the road of high hopes and desolations .

Teh Linux fan and Mastercam worshipper