Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mcam & McAfee

lovell110

Are you saying that Norton is giving you trouble?

Mcafee will give you a lot of trouble I used to use it and it caused me all kinds of trouble.

I use a Norton Corporate edition for my network and never cause's any trouble & does find the viruses that is for sure and integrates with my MS exchange mail system.

My .002

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

[This message has been edited by cadcam (edited 07-16-2001).]

One of my customers used to run McAffee

on his network. He had to rebuild from scratch after one of his employees opened some stupid joke about

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

His McAffe was properly installed and his virus definitions were up to date.

He runs Norton now!

We use McAfee Viruscan V4.5.0 w/ Windows NT 4.0 and Mastercam V8.1.1 here. Never have any problems at all. That's not an endorsement of McAfee being the best, just that it works trouble free for me. I use Norton at home.

[This message has been edited by Larry Smith (edited 07-17-2001).]

IMHO, the only descent version of VirusScan that McAfee ever produced was its MS-DOS version. It's Windows 3.x version was easily corrupted by virii. I've seen the Windows 9x/NT/2000 version do crazy things like use 99.9% of CPU resources for no reason at all, making the system very sluggish.

Since Windows 95, I've always used Norton AntiVirus with flawless results. Symantec has been in the PC utility business much longer than McAfee and have an excellent track record. Could Norton Utilities be one of the greatest software packages ever made? smile.gif"><P>I

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm in the "Norton AV" fan club too. I can't say that I've ever used McAffee. I will tell you I've never been infected by a virus thoguh. I'm sure that Multax is going to come in here and ream us a new one "for using inferior technology" or something like that but I use Norton. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Out!

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

Cnet thinks that Norton is a little better than McAfee.

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-806174-7-27....3746-7-2776301

Zdnet also prefers Norton over McAfee.

http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/revi...2505177,00.html

I use mcafee myself, but I recommend Norton to anyone that does not have a virus scanner.

James: can't you post without hoping for (dreading?)another cat fight with Multax?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Jeremy,

quote:

James: can't you post without hoping for (dreading?)another cat fight with Multax?

You can see how much I look forward to it, check his last Topic, Webby locked it down tighter than a drum. See my (absense of a) reply.

wink.gif

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

Macafee runs good on all our nt4 systems here although my new MIS department insists we install and run Norton. I guess I'll be Forced to Join that Norton club sooner than I think.

Someone opened up that Snow White virus here and it caused a total meltdown for about 5 hrs. MIS surely earned their keep that day.

------------------

Toby Baughman

Programming Supervisor

Saint Gobain Semicon Group Inc.

Vs8.1.1 LvL3 Mill + solids

toby, That's my point about Mcaffe,

It ran good, but that Snow White joke

melted your network. What good is that?

My wife belongs to a couple of email chain letter clubs. She gets 90 to 100 emails a day, some one them have been forwarded 50 or 60 times. Its the email equivelent of very unsafe sex. She's probably recieved the Snow White joke a dozen times. Norton quaratines it before it even gets to the inbox.

She got aVBS attachment today and Norton killed it before it was completely downloaded. Everyone I know who uses Mcaffe

has rebuilt their machine at least once.

Next month PC World Magazine is going to run all the major virus programs head to head.

I have no doubt Norton will win in a landslide.

[This message has been edited by gcode (edited 07-20-2001).]

Another great anti virus program is IRIS AntiVirus. Developed by the Israeli military this stuff is the bomb! and used to have 99.9% efectivity. When I was using it you had to lease it. I'd rather have a disk in my hand instead. So I use Norton instead and get free updates. We have Mcafee at the job and it's ok. I shut it off though as well as the cheap antivirus in the motherboard chipset. Lot's of newbies run both at the same time and complain of a slow computer.

Mopar brings up a good point. Onboard antivirus is useless and is usually disabled by default on most motherboards for a good reason.

NAV does a good job by monitoring all MBR activity. Sometimes it pops up a warning when you're messing around with the MBR by manipulating partitions with a Windows tool like Partition Magic or simply renaming a hard disk in My Computer. But that proves how well it monitors against virii that infect the MBR. And if one happens to slip by, Symantec's recovery CD and/or floppy will get you up and running again virus free. No, I don't work for Symantec smile.gif

All this talk of viruses and guess what? my girlfriend got hit with the latest one called "w32sircam"? something like that. Made her program files folder dissappear, renamed win32rundll.exe to win32, and tried to use her computer as a virus server. Got 6 copies of it herself (one as I watched.) I also got to watch Norton quarentine and delete it. Her webmaster friends got 40 or so doses of this thing a day for the last couple of days.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Whooooooo, woooooo, nasty stuff!!!!!!!!!

You been going into places we can't mention in this family friendly forum????? wink.gif Just kidding. Norton has quarrantined a few viri for me and that's why I've continued to use it.

People most at risk for becoming "Virus Servers" are those with Cable Internet. @ Home and Road Runner are the worst trojan horse offenders on the planet. They have connections that are always on and this is a ripe target for hackers that wish to do Denial Of Service attacks on servers. Go to http://grc.com/default.htm to get the low down on how vulnerable we really are if we don't take then ptoper security precautions. The story goes a bit beyond the virus thing but that's really what it is and where it starts.

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

James brings up a good point that is related in a round about way to this thread, concerning those with broadband connections. At home, my ISP is @Home and I receive an average of 4 to 10 attacks each day. Some days, that number is much larger! Thankfully, Norton Internet Security protects my system by setting all of my ports to stealth mode. It is very important and neccessary to have firewall software and/or hardware if you have an always-on connection. As far as software goes, there's always free choices like Zone Alarm. But for hardcore set-it-and-forget-it or tweak as much as you want factors, I suggest Norton Internet Security (includes Norton AntiVirus). BlackIce is pretty good, too. For a free security test, navigate to http://security.norton.com/default.asp?pro...id=us&venid=sym .This has been a very pro-Symantec thread smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bullines (edited 07-21-2001).]

I agree with everyone concerning Norton. I've been using Norton Utilities for years. At home, I have a cable modum w/ Road Runner. My Norton Internet Securities firewall blocks several attacks on my system per day.

Kathy smile.gif

I find the Norton Utilities and there Internet Securities firewall software’s to be good. But with a big BUT, they eat allot of resources and slow the computer down allot.

This is one reason I went with Hardware firewalls instead of the internal software type.

Norton make good software & for sure there Virus software is one of the best out there.

But as for their other software’s I see that they all so slow the computer down.

If you change to a router with a firewall you will see an improvement in your computer and in the Internet.

Jays long .002

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

[This message has been edited by cadcam (edited 07-22-2001).]