Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Directories too deep?

Andy

I tried to post a setup sheet of a known good file and set poster from a directory C:MC8MILLMILLWORKSSARMSTRONGSTRETCHERTOOLING

and got the blue screen." Mill8 has caused an errror in Kernel32.dll

Mill 8 will close." And had to Hard boot computer (Soft no good).

So I moved the files up one Directory to STRETCHER Directory and all worked well.

I then tried the TOOLING Dir. again and Blue Screen.

So I think there is some limit to the depth of the Directory structure.

Am I correct?

Andy

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill

Andy, we have had a problem similar to that. It seems as though there is a character limit in folders and sub folders. Our problem was in the mc8 folders on our W2K server. Once you reched that limit the file was untouchable and if you tried to move it it would bring the server down frown.gif.

What we had to do was change the previous folder names to shorten them up and only then was the file capable of being accessed.

It wouldn't bring out the blue screen on our desktops but the server was given the blue screen of death.

Be careful of the character limits, I can't remember what the number was though, sorry.

------------------

B. Henderson

OMEGA PlASTICS

[email protected]

opinc.com

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Oh, yes! Thanks lou! Very important point! it's best to have no characters or spaces in the names. If you must have a character, underscores "_" or hyphens "-" generally won't cause you grief, but if you are coming close to the 256 character limit watch out.

In Windows 98, there was a bug(it's since been fixed) that reared it's ugly head when you switched the focus(wiggled the mouse) while right clicking, it would propagate folders so deep you could not get to them because therer were too many characters. So yo uhad to manually change the folder names to one character until you could get to your data. Very long process to say the least.

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Did anybody report this to CNC? I'm going to stick my neck out and venture to say "NO". This kind of stuff is VERY important to pass along to Mastercam Quality Control.

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

No I am not on a server or Network. However I do use spaces in the Directory names sometimes and usually are not this deep in a Dir structure. First time for everything I guess. I will use all of your suggestions.

Thank you,

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill