Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RE: MINORITYS AND MASTERCAM? ANY CAD/CAM

hello everybody, i didn't get a chance to respond to this very intresting subject. the web master might kick me out for bringing this back up smile.gif. i am Arfican American and i like to put my input on how i see things in this high tech world of CAD/CAM and Machining. first of all, you have to have it in your heart that this is what you want to do for a living. unfortunately, there are no African American role models in this high tech field. example:when all of you went to westec. how many African American did you see? how many badges did you see that had owner,manufacturing eng., programmer. most likely none. but i bet the African American people that you did see, had badges with SALES on them. hummmm why is that. is this field that high tech where African American can't learn this trade? everywhere i worked, i was allways the only African American CNC machinist. all other African Americans were sweping floors or tool crib attendants. and as one of the only few African American CNC machinist in this field. i have had my share of racism at a number of shops. big areospace shops. this is also a reason why there are hardley any blacks in this feild. my family kept me strong through all the crap i had to put up with. from being called names, to being laid off. just because of my race. but, because i love to machine and i love to do mastercam this is what keeps me in the game. don't get me wrong, there are good people out there. James meyette,cad/cam (jay), Trevor and who ever else i missed. helped in in ways that was valuable. i have sat down with james on his own time and he showed me some tricks on mastercam.jay has helped me out over the phone. Trevor helped out via e-mail. this is the best fourm to get help from the pro's in mastercam.what i like about this forum is people helping people. regardless of race,color,creed.it's a shame that most company's don't feel this way. racism is still alive and well in this high tech. field. when i first wanted to become a machinist i was told, why? all you guy's are good for is sports,drug dealing,stealing. the plant manager told me that machining was to high tech. at this point he refered me to the sales dept. mad.gif that is just one of many stories that i have delt with in the machining field. i should write a book. but for now, my goal is to learn mastercam to the fullest and maybe open a school for the underprivileged to learn this trade.i was an assistant instructor at NTMA. the only way to get into the CNC,CAD/CAM, machining part of NTMA you have to be employed. well if you can't get employed as a machinst you can't get into NTMA. which i like to add is a very good school. well i can go on and on but i'm going to end this here. out side of the racism, this has been a very rewarding carrer for me and my family.and i like to thank this forum for giving me the opportunity to express my thoughts on this subject. thank you. (what happened to the spell checker) biggrin.gif

What you are Arfican American ? eek.gif

i didn't know.

Well here is my thought i dont care if you are or not .

i have talked with you many times & you are a nice person & have a want for this very bad that will take you were you & your family belong. smile.gif

sorry that people in the past have not given you fair play.

but i will be comeing out soon, i will get with james & see if we can all do lunch.

later art.

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Arty2000, I appreciate your honesty. Let me go out on a limb a bit here.

I keep thinking racism is mostly dead and burried then I hear a story or see things that let me down. Racism is likely rooted in ancient culture, where people learned to distrust people from other tribes. What that means is the seeds of racism are deeply rooted in all people (think about it, there are bigots in every race), and it takes effort to excise it.

You have described a bit of a chicken and egg problem; no role models, therefore few black machinists, therefore few role models.

There must be pioneers in all fields to break down these perceptions. Jackie Robinson suffered brutal and blatant racism. But he handled it with such class and courage, that anyone who opposed him was shamed into admitting their error. The Tuskeegee airmen proved blacks could fly, very well in fact; enough to shoot down plenty of enemy fighters. And they didn't come back to a hero's welcome, but a segregated south. They had to wait many years for what was right.

And lets not just focus on one race. The Irish and many others had to endure injustice. Sad, but that just seems to be the worst of human nature.

So, be a hero. Hang in there. Prove by honing your skill that you're as good or better than anyone. Then be that role model yourself. If you can do that, you can in no small way help open the tremendous opportunity this trade offers to people who would have never considered it.

I'm truly sorry you've had some bad experiences. All I can say is most people aren't like that. They are willing to give a guy a fair break who deserves it. Those people who treated you unfairly are small and beneath you (we don't like them either!). I'm glad you didn't let them discourage you, because our trade needs you.

Keep you head up, keep improving your craft, and become that role model. GODSPEED ARTY2000 smile.gif

Hey Arty

Whats up!

Guys like you makes the world turn alot smoother. Thank you for your forth right expression on this subject. I for one am glad to meet you & more than willing to help you out at every chance.You are the second african american I have meet in this cadcam field & that make you one hell of a pioneers in this arena. I can just invision the crap that you had to put up with over the years.Here in Detroit theres a machinist school

Called Focus Hope. I found a lot of talent there upon my visits & have 4 talented black students that will start training on my cadcam seats from my home. Getting seat time IMHO is the biggest wall for them.I find that Who Dare to become a cadcam programmer are givin that same dumb line that all blacks

are good for is sports & drug dealing yada yada bunk! Keep pushing Arty Lot of great pepole here in this forum that dont give a rats butt about a persons color. That fact that you love machining,cadcam,mastercam makes you my Friend . biggrin.gif

Please dont delete this topic tongue.gif

Kenneth Potter

It is nice to see that all of us Canadians are having a positive effect on all of our American Cousins. LOL

The only thing left is to convert everyone to the metric system - resistance is futile...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Art,

Thanks for the kind words. I have the utmost respect for you Art and as always if you need something, gimme a call.

Good to see you back here.

Welcome Arty,

I helped set up a training lab at Focus hope in Detriot.

It's a lifeline to alot of inner city kids. They Teach Machining and Shop technology.

You should these kids light up when they write programs and cut their first parts in Mastercam. You da man set the pace for these kids and blaze the trail. We are all behind ya!!! Rock on Bro.

Cheers and Chips.

Chuck

Training Manager

Axsys Inc.

(Michigan Mastercam Dealer)

Hey ARTY2000!

Take pride in the fact that you are the role model!

Everyone is so right - this is a great trade for many people.

My company is very progressive - people are valued for their skills. We have a woman controller, and several woman engineers. We have enginners of all colors alony with techs, QA's etc. We even have a North Dakota'en! (LOL - Oh God - now everyon's going to get all over me!!!)

Take Care

Kathy