Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Defining Stock in Verify?

GreggT

Gents;

I'm having a hell of a time here. I can't get MC to accept the selections for defining my stock in verify and the jobsetup value doesn't fit about my part and I think I have it defined correctly? I have set my WCS back to top and tried setting the radio buttons in the Initial stock size source to all three selections. I thought I had it figured a little while ago thinking it was somehow related to which WCS was active but after I crashed out during verify now changing the WCS doesn't have any effect on the stock size, orientation, or shape. Restarted my machine a couple of times. Tried a couple different WCSs... pretty much exhaust all options I know to pursue. What should I do next?

I have a really good machine and video card but am still experiencing crashes during verify and have yet to successfully run compare. (Dell Precision 370, w/ NVIDIA Quadro FX 1300 w/ driver 67.20 installed.

All help apriciated, thanks in advance.

I didn't call it crap either, even though I may have wanted to wink.gif .......

quote:

but am still experiencing crashes during verify and have yet to successfully run compare.

Gregg,

If you're referring to "compare to STL," you won't get that to work either if you're in a WCS other than Top. That is my only complaint with Verify.

Sorry, I can't help you with your stock definition. I never use job setup to define stock.

Thad

Gregg

Whenever I have a stock that doesn't quite fit with the stock setup, I just creata solid that represents how my stock would be and then create a stl file and verify my program to that. So far I have never had a problem with this way. We don't use the WCS here, I just define Setup views and use them as construction and toolpath planes. I do cut parts from multiple views within the same MC part program.

HTH

Glenn

Thanks Glenn.

The stock I'm trying to define is rectangular? It's funny because I pick it using the Boundaries>Pick stock corners... in the Verify configuration and it looks to change behind the dialog box but then when I close the dialog the stock changes size and I'm back to a bad situation again? Who knows? I can get the scan toolpaths to work and I'll just delete the chip and try getting the verify to work?

Gregg,

The 'bug' that I mentioned wouldn't cause your problem, I don't think. I was saying that even if you did get it to take the values, you'd still get an error about not using the top view. I don't remember the exact message.

Your dealer should be able to help you out.

Thad

if youre using anything else other than WCS' relative to world top, youll have one hell of a time trying to define a simple rectangular stock shape in Verify. And then when you think you just might have it figured out, and it 'looks ok' youll find that its all wrong. You can try turning off true solids and remember to set your view to what you want to see in verify before starting the verification, but even then its a real PIA and getting it right really comes down to hit or miss....

so In short, if your using your own defined WCS', youre screwed wink.gif

I'll do the obvious thing here; it's caught me out in the past!

Have you checked the Margins boxes, and made sure they aren't adding anything to your stock shape in Verify?

If you are saying that your rectangular shape is not flat in (or parallel to) the Top view, then I suspect that is really the cause of your problems. In the Verify config box, any rectangular shape you try to define by entering values, or picking corners will become flat in the Top view.

CAMando,

I apprectiate your faith dude biggrin.gif

GreggT,

This may be sorted now by the sound of it, but if not, let's check a couple of things.

1) With the WCS set to Top or Off, is the rectangular shape you are trying to define actually in the Top view, so it looks like a 2D shape when you look at it from Top? (it should be, because Verify will not give you the right block size otherwise)

2) Go to Job Setup, and reselect the shape by using Pick Stock Corners (top left/bottom right). The red lines should match up with your shape obviously. (I'm getting you to try it this way, but it should work with the Pick Stock Corners option in Verify too)

3) Well... you should be able to go to Verify now, into the config, and press the large rectangular "Use Job Setup Values" button to get the right stock size.

If it still isn't behaving, then I think something may be up with your install... I guess you haven't played around with a file called Verify.prm? If not, don't start to on my account! I was wondering if it had been accidentally set to Read Only, that's all.

Rich,

Gregg emailed me his file, If you do it in Job setup it works fine. He was trying to do it in the Verify with pick stock corners. I tried it there and had the same funky results. I have never used pick stock corners in verify, and had never seen this problem. I tried it using the different settings for the top/WCS combinations, and it always came out funke. Looked like the stock was rotated 90 degrees roughly. If you do it in the Job setup it worked great.

HTH.

Glenn

P.S. I never understood all the unhappiness with verify. I have made an adjustment in the verify.prm file made in another topic, and have never really had a problem. Had it save my butt alot of times though. Gregg did let me see a part of the frustrations with this file. I would just work around it by using the job setup function.

JM2C

Rich;

Thanks for all the tips. I did not have the WCS set properly, I think that was my main problem (hope it doesn't matter where your at with the WCS when X comes out this seems like a lot of hoop jumping, but as long as you know it has to be done....)

What is in this Verify.prm and should I even be there or is it like messing with the registry and people with my aptitudes should just not go there?

Heeler, thanks man, I'm glad you saw what I was getting my resaler gave me the standard "It works on my computer answer." I really hate that!

Now how do I change the WCS in a couple of my ops w/o corrupting the whole file? When ever I change the WCS on OPs 43, 44, or 45 it deletes the WCS that is associated with all of the OP02 operations? I put the file in MC9_files file name is GreggT.zip, as always all help greatly apriciated. Notice that I have a couple of WCSs that share a V#? Could this somehow be causing the problem and if so how do I change it?

TIA

Heeleh/GreggT

I see what you mean about pick stock corners in Verify now... and it's nothing to do with your particular installation after all. That's certainly a problem. Although you are slightly outside of my dealership area biggrin.gif I can pass it along to CNC if you like.

Yes there are some here that do not like hearing unqualified critisism of Mastercam - sure sometimes I find it annoying to use, but by the same token I also have to depend on Micro$haft for my productivity: despite all of their billions, they can't even produce a word-processor I can rely on (but I choose not to qualify that statment here wink.gif )

Verify.prm is a file I wouldn't usually recommend playing with unless you are the type of guy who isn't too fussed about playing with the system settings/registy. NowI say that from a point of view of my job - tech support. If everyone started playing with their internal files I could start losing my hair in short order.

I am trying to get a hang of your latest issue Greg. For example, I go into the paramaters for Op 43, and change the WCS from Top, to the first WCS no.9 (WCS's share the same view number if the XYZ directions are the same). I choose to keep the current T/C Planes as they are, and not line them up against the new WCS. I regen the operation, and it works fine. None of the other ops in the same group seem to be affected. Perhaps you are doing it a different way.

Gregg,

look here

This is what I have done, using .0005. It gives me alot better real picture of what things will really look like. It takes longer to verify, but you can change the move/steps and move/refresh and the slider to speed/quality in the verify/config screen. This adjustment made me like verify alot better than before I made it.

HTH

Glenn

P.S.

Thanks James