Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reversing Toolpaths

Loudog419

I was wondering if there are any restrictions to which way the router bit can travel while cutting material.

I do know that on a hand held router there is only one direction that it can travel in order to cut the material, is this the same with a CNC router??

I'm new at the controls so bear with me. confused.gif

In most cases, it will work. There will always be instances where one direction or the other is preferred or even required to go a certain direction. (Unless you're talking about the direction of the spindle... eek.gif )

Generally, on CNCs, the preferred direction is to climb cut, (the direction the tool would naturally go in relation to the direction the tool is spinning, kind of like a wheel rolling.)

If you have used hand held routers you prooly have noticed what happens based on the direction you push the bit. conventional is pushing the tool into the matierial against the tool direction which tends to pull the tool into or towards the wood and also leaving a frayed or ruff surface. going the other way climbing the bit will give you smother finishes. the machine is mush more capible of handling the forces generated but the finish acheived is simular

Loudog.....I never used a router bit but I would guess its pretty much the same as an endmill.

I have cut alot of Mahogany on a mill and it was always best ot climb around the outside parameter first so you didnt end up with chipped edges of your part as the mill broke of the last bit of a deep cut.

I would agree that climbing is best...

Climb Cut. Do all cross grain cuts 1st then cut with the grain. Use a .005 to .007 chip load on the tool for finishing and up to .015 for roughing. Turn your spindle as fast as it will safetly go as long as you get get the feedrate to obtain the chip load. A machine with slow accell and decell rates will put too much heat to the tool so you must slow your rpms down.