Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Port tool surface finish help

Chuckles the Clown

We've used port-cutters here with very good results.

MS33649-12S 75 RPM @ F.05

32 finish or better in copper nickel and k-monel.

We G81 to .001-.003 above finish with coolant.

M00, (to clear any chips), then G82 / P4000

to finish using moly.

HTH

Thanks for the replies

We cut inconel and other nasty materials such as monel, but we have more trouble with finishes on 4140 and 4130 than those. Looks like tearing, we tried messing with speeds and feeds, dwells, sped it up, slowed it down, but never get 32 finish or less, we end up polishing.

In your post you mentioned using moly...what are you refering to there?

We cut a lot of 4140 and do a lot of ports in the stuff. We have All of our 4140 heat treated to 28-32HRc. In the normal condition the stuff is just to soft for us and tends to tear as you mentioned. Turning of the soft stuff is not as bad as milling. I hit 700 SFPM on the lathes and get spectacular finishes.

I have not had good success with port tools either. Haven't done a lot of them, but I always end up putting it on a manual mill just to touch them up. I've only had one hole in a setup to do so it didn't take very long. I've thought about getting some end mills ground up with the form of the port cutter and interpolating it, but I haven't had high enough quantities yet to justify it. Also opens up some room for error.

I ran a bunch of ports in the od of some Ti6Al4V parts a couple of months ago. No problems. As mentioned above, a little conservative on the speed. I also use the carbide tipped type. As I mentioned above, but think is worth repeating, I have found the Reamer tip is a must for tougher materials especially. Since the tip of these tools are cutting material, it stabelizes the c'bore portion and will provide better finishes.

In contrast the pilot type are designed with clearance between the pilot and the tap drill size so the tool can shake and chatter a bit.

quote:

how about run high end on rpm (for material) and end with a dwell?

Only if you want it to bark like a dog & end up with a finish that looks like you used a hammer & chisel. bonk.gif

Chuckles,

I went in like Tom L sugested. I used plain old sulfur oil on the G82 pass. Nasty, but cut way down on tearing and produced a good finish. I also decreased my RPM's on the G82 cycle.