Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

440C Stainless Drilling Problem

TeccBoxx

I am having some problems with drilling some 440C Stainless Steel. We just got a new shipment in and this stuff is harder then normal. We are drilling 1/8" holes and normally we got around 60-75 holes before they dulled or broke. However this new stuff we are lucky to get 5 holes drilled. We checked the hardness and get Rockwell hardness of around 60 before heat treating. Normally it is around 30-35. I am not a metallurgical type guy so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I might fix this problem? I was thinking of trying to normalize it with heating up up but I cannot find a normalizing temp. for 440c. So does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get around this problem? Also does anyone know why this batch is harder than normal?

Rc 60 has been Hardened ant tempered.

Annealed 440C will range in the low to mid 20's Rc.

Annealing at 1350/1400°F and Air cooling will get you about Rc 25 or 26.

If you have time though I als recomend returning the material from whence it came and have whoever screwed up fix the problem.

I use a fair amount of 420 F SS which comes with a RC of 33-37...I would not substitute different rockwell material without written permission from customer as harder material may be more prone to crack and break althouth It may be more wear resistant. Most mold steels can be re- heat treated to proper RC. Sometimes they have to take it all the way back to annealled and start all over. Talk to your heat treater(talk to a good one)