Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Save toolpath geometry?

Stephen

Hello,

Is there a way to save just the chained geometry in a tool path, not the whole operation? If I right click on the chained geometry and copy it I get the whole operation. I want to reuse just the chained geometry in a different type of toolpath. For example use rough pocket then use same geometry in engrave toolpath.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

When you back plot go to options and turn on save geometry.

Then you should have all the lines on the screen from that tool path.

If it is alot I would get it on a different level to make it easier.

And at that point click.

File -> save some.

And click the geometry you want saved to a different file..

JIm

Hello Jim,

I don't want the compensated geometry of the toolpath just the original selected geometry that the prior toolpath used. Sometimes it takes awhile to select all the chained geometry in a specific toolpath(lots of text, etc.). I would like to copy this data into the operations manager for the next operation rather than reslecting all the geometry again. Can this be done without leaving the operations manager?

Steve

Steve

Tommy,

That's exactly what I was looking for. It works on all the tool paths except an engrave toolpath. Is this a bug? It gives me an error message "Error occured getting chains of existing operation". When I reselect the geometry it crashes MC. I'm running MR0303.

Steve

Stephen,

I don't use engrave toolpaths, but could you use contour to do your engraving? You could use a Surface-Finish-Project if you're engraving on a 3D surface. BTW, dragging and dropping geometry is something that I do everday. It works great!

Offhand, I can't think of an example where I would want to pocket, then engrave the same geometry. Wouldn't the pocket operation cut away all the stock to engrave?

Thad teh doesn't use engrave (I think it's an add-on)

Thad,

The engraving toolpath is an awesome and powerful tool. After you rough the pocket with a standard toolpath the engraving toolpath then cleans out all the areas the pocket tool can’t reach including contouring all the geometry. Also, the engraving toolpath is capable of doing 3-D moves to create sharp inside corners. For example, when students engrave Times New Roman fonts they are very crisp and raised 3-D letters like a rubber stamp would look.

Tommy,

That makes sense since it is more like a C-Hook.

Thanks everyone for the input,

Steve

Stephen,

Try Window selecting the entire geometry for your Engraving operation. Mcam does allow you to window select a whole group of geometry at once. What many users get confused by is the prompt "enter a search point" that often shows up when window selecting. This is simply Mcam asking which side do you prefer to start the chaining from. Left click on one side or the other of your geometry and then it will highlight as it does when you select individual chains. HTH cheers.gif