Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fear of tapping

motodog

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we... "SMACK"......

I forgot to mention that MOST of the breakages on my roll taps in 6061 are either the first one in (because of a "dummy" move on my part)or after a long series of production (and I forgot to change out the tap for wear). I have lost a couple when the part moved (again traced back to a "dummy" move due to me).

OK. I've been doing all this stuff that is discussed here. And after 80 or so holes, I break one. Attributed to my mistake, weak workholding. Fix that, then one of these puppies (taps) smears and almost kills a good part.

I think I need to just squirt raw coolant on it when tapping? Any body?

I should add that I'm running "fairly rich mix" of Kool Mist coolant.

Its not beating the dog if you are still learning from it!

quote:

I guess that I thought (subconsciously) that rigid tapping locked up the feed and speed, kept them linked no matter what

Yes it does on newer machines. On older ones it's another issue biggrin.gif

But even on new ones it's a parameter setting to not read spindle override while rigid tapping (I think).

Mark

hey, an unrelated question.

When I first set this machine up, I remember a parameter or setting that prevented any XY until Z is done. Once or twice, this thing (vfo) has xy moved before the z was done (braking stuff). It only happened in rapid retract on a contour toolpath.

Any idea which setting or parameter it is? Can't find it now. I just quit rapid retraxting on contour.

It was maybe in the post?

If you spent as much time taping as you did typing, we would be over this now. smile.gif There is a parameter for the HAAS to prevent spindle overide during taping, I'm pretty sure. We just installed one and I remember reading it. I'll have to dig into the books when I'm back at work.

Remember, just look the other way as the tap approaches the hole. biggrin.gif

quote:

I remember a parameter or setting that prevented any XY until Z is done.

No, it's most likely programmers mistake.

There is no parameter setting for the machine to prevent xy move until z retract is done...

I know some people could use one biggrin.gif

Kind regards, Mark

Could it have been a post processor thing?

I swear I remeber something......

And I am one of the newbies who never wrote code...Mastercam is calling the shots.

Because I'm a liberal democrat, I beat all topics into the ground, and blame others for all problems offtopic.gif

That should kill it... biggrin.gif