Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix for Al

DavidB

I say anything that is 2 or 3 flute. I think it is a matter of what you got and can work with. If you are roughing, semi roughing or finishing then that will control the results of what you are trying to achieve. I would also say that if the problem of chip evuaction would be less with the 45 than the 30 in slotting or taking deep cuts.

HTH

We are currently using some Fraisa solid carbide scutters on a big aluminum job. They are the best I've ever used. 40 Deg helix and more importantly 25 degree POSITIVE rake.

Cutters for machining hardened steel from the same company have 40 deg helix and 5 degree NEGATIVE rake.

Proper rake angle is more important than helix angle.

Interesting that most people have suggested a 45 degree helix. Sandvik have a new range of solid carbide milling cutters just for Al there Helix is 30 degrees and 13 degrees rake and there all 2 flutes.

The Unimills I have been buying from another supplier are 46 degrees Helix.

Thanks for all the replys cheers.gifcheers.gif

DavidB, The sandvic cutters work great. Although the price will make you second guess using them. I have found that Mitsubishi end mills {Diamond star} are the better deal for tool life. I use them on stainless and also on some 52Rc material. Only taking an ap of .007 side cut x .5 deep, and running it at 97 ipm. I cant rember off the top of my head on the speed. But it went back to back with the sandvic and it out performed by 2 1/2 folds...

High helis when ever possible, for high speed machining.

Ed cheers.gif

David,

We use garr also, only with 2 flutes. What sort of speed and feed, doc were you using with those 3 fluters?

We can go up to 25,000rpm here and we are often machining deep thin walls. wink.gif

I don't know if a 3 flute tool would give good results with our machining strategies at the moment, but any new information always comes in handy.

Bruce

David

quote:

Sandvik have a new range of solid carbide milling cutters just for Al there Helix is 30 degrees and 13 degrees rake and there all 2 flutes.

i have just started to use these and they are a great cutter.Excellent surface finish. If they last as long as their other aluminium grade cutters, they will be worth the extra money.

Hey Bruce. Do you know anyone from E.G.R Plastics up there?.

cheers.gif Darren