Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fiberglass reinforced plastic parts

MATT Q

No problem use to cut 30% all the time with standard carbide. Does get dull after a little while but the 10 times cost of diamond I can get by with Carbide. Need to watch the fuzz factor as I call it. For this I would look at SLS and be done with it. If they want a machineable strong gladd filled I would look at Glass filled polycarbonate much more ocntrol on the surface finish and use to make some lasrer parts for it worked great.

HTH

I use solid carbide with decent wear in a lot of glass filled material. We machine a lot of Ultem 2300 with solid carbide with different coatings TiN and TiCN and such with good luck. Try a few different cutters and see what gives you the best wear.

Matt, how's Kansas treating you?

I cut a fair amount of glass filled plastics, mostly nylon but some ABS years ago. Keep your rpms fairly low, if you're rubbin the cutter they dull quick. There was one coating in particular that lasted a lot longer than the rest, unfortunately I don't remember which one. If you have a bit of a production run pick one of your cutters and try different coatings, one of them will last almost twice as long as the others. Maybe someone else can give you better info.

later,