Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Error in saving your mc8 file?

keithd

Well lets just say that my first G-codes where done with perforated cards, then on paper tape, then on 5 1/4 floppy discs, then on 3 1/2 discs, then on RS-232 cables and now we're getting into network cards in controllers accessing the internet.

Hum, does this mean I'm getting old ... confused.gif

James,

By even knowing what a perferated card is, you by inclusion are of the same era as Luc...

I would never have known what a perferated card was except for a visit to the Air and Space Museum in Washington last October and seeing one in the "Design and Manufacturing Exibit" - Just underneath an X-19 fighter (The one with the canards and reverse swept wings...)

A perferated card was developed by the ancient CNC and computer guru's as a method of inputting data into a computer (vintage 50's to 70's - Bill Gates was still in Diapers...) Seems as though these cards were placed into some sort of a contraption that fed them into a slot and magically the information encoded on the cards was entered into the computer. I think that there had to be armies of people generating these cards for profilling a surface with a .0005" stepover and an average block length of 12 characters. Luc, What would happen if the cards were dropped or they somehow got out of order? Could be another post in the ##Crash## thread!

When I took Fortran in collage, I had to write the program one line at a time per card, than feed the whole stack into the reader.

Have you ever heard the story of the guy carrying his program to the compute room in shoe boxes, trips and the boxes go flying? eek.gif

Kathy

biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I reported that some time ago, Ver 8.1.1. It's reminiscent of a similar event in Ver 6.0 which ( I was told) I reported first also. There is no sure way out, but I've done it by Convert, Save as MC7 while its still on the screen. Or you can convert to Iges just in case. If there are a lot of modifications to geometry ( Xform, Translate etc..) especially with notes and dimensions, it seems to be more likely. A lot of folks point the finger at Microsoft about memory problems, but I have the same system and OS and it all worked fine with Ver 7.2 and Ver 8.0. Years ago I would reboot at lunch time so Mastercam wouldn't crash in mid afternoon

unexpectedly.

As Kathyric said, but to add to it, you would leave your stack of cards at the computer center (if they were still in the shoebox), and come back the next day and if you were lucky they would have run the cards and have a printout for you. But usually the printout was very short and you would have to find your error, repunch the appropriate cards, re-submit, and wait another day. This might go on 3 or more times and eventually they would hand you the printout that was longer than 2 lines and you were finally happy.

I had forgotten those days until Kathyric brought it up. Modern methods are a breeze compared to the good old days!

Andy cool.gif

While I was a senior in high school I had a job in a shop where I operated Bridgeports retrofitted with preforated tape controllers.

A strip of paper with holes in it between reels, looked like the original "Bat Cave" computer. The Z axis was depth only with a pneumatic/hydraulic cylinder and a turret with 6 stops for different depths. Interesting evolution of topics here- what happened to keithd? If you still exist keithd, I have frequent file save errors and I've tracked it to saving on a mapped network drive. If you are saving locally, I would try

a more stable computer or if you have w95/98/me get 2000 or NT.

I'm convinced it has something to do with multiple people accessing the same folder on the network drive. We have draft on a few boxes for sales or project management to poke around and view projects. It seems to happen when we have a problem or a drop dead time more than not,during which time it would be feasable for 3 maybe 4 people to be in the same folder. I have never had a file save error on the computer that the files are actually on. It would be nice if it worked more like excel and knew if someone had the file open. Add that to the wish list for V9.

Jim

We aren't sharing files over the network, But I always have two sessions of Mastercam running! This could be along the same line.

I will also have a problem where Mastercam will 'lose' the .nci file and come to a sreaching halt! Have to close out and start again, and than every thing is fine. But I'v also noticed that Win2K will collapse my dir tree in exployer like it's lost the path(s)! Could be a Win2K thing

Kathy