Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Catia v5 r14 and mcam

Has anyone run into a good translation solution for the latest catia files. Had a good converter from MasterCam-payed my maintenance and Catia rolled versions. Aparently Mastercam cannot keep up. been knocking on my vars door with no results for 2 months.

What is maintenance for?

Doug

ok, guess i wasnt too clear on this. We receive native catia version 5 in the latest release format from our customer. They will not translate these to any other format and they update there catia nearly as soon as it comes out. in wich creates the problem. i have mcams translater with maintenance but they seem to lag several months behind catia releases thus rendering it useless for that interum.

help i am desperate. my customer is screaming for parts that i cannot access.

Doug

anbu: am all up to date w/patches maint releases etc but the converter lags in updates.

is moldplus the same converter that is intagrated in mcam or is it a seperate c-hook?

this has been suggested several times-will investigate the product. thanks-Doug

here is what i found with moldplus.

catia version supported

The CATEXP files produced by Version 4, earlier V3RX Level export files and the new ".model" files are supported by Cat_RW. This is the latest release on both IBM mainframe and RS/6000 platform. Only those entities clearly identified as being supported in this document can be read by Cat_RW. Any entities not listed are not supported.

CATIA V5 Import will be available shortly

need to be able to read .catpart files

version 5 release 14.

doug

thanks for all the input. you guys are the bomb...

special thanks to brendan. excelent gesture but we deal with propriatary info that cannot leave the building. i trust you all but rools are rools.

and you gurrooos rool

Doug

ok after much research and considering the input i have received here Mold plus looks to be the way to go. my questions would be whats the catch? mold plus is cheaper-cheaper maint. and is capable of the latest catia where as the mastercam add on is not at this point. why would my reseller even recomend the lesser of the products? does mold plus keep closer updates with catia or can i expect the reverse scenario with it in the future? gotta sell the idea to management to dump a product that they have payed alot for and turn around and buy a different product. am i going to end up with mud on my face? I know tough questions, nothing is sure in life but you guys seem to at least have some history with the products.

Hi

Moldplus uses a different CATIA translator source in comparison to CNC Software. We released our product recently (just a few months ago), in comparison to CNC Software that has had the product out for a while. Based on when you purchased the translator, CNC Software's solution was probably the only one available and that is why your reseller recommended and sold you that solution.

We have provided a solution for importing CATIA V4 data into Mastercam for many years. We do not deliver a product in the market unless we feel confident that it is reliable, cost effective and gives you the results you are looking for. That is the reason why we waited this long to provide a solution for importing CATIA V5 data.

We will continue to stay current (providing solutions as fast as possible) for the versions released by CATIA V5.

Check with your reseller and fellow Mastercam users on our background and commitment to providing quality solutions.

Also check with your reseller as to when you will have V14 support for the CNC Software CATIA V5 translator. They may not be too far with that.

Regards

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I can vouch for Anbu and Moldplus. Their add-ons are TOP SHELF. I had an issue with Pro-Drill... man, it was fixed like in days. They are VERY responsive.

JM2C

• 3 weeks later...

Doug,

I have used PS-Exchange from delcam a few times when I get in a bind. We use Mastercam for almost everthing we do, but it is hard to buy a translator for all types of files. PS exchange is free to view most all file types, and it is $50 per file if you want to translate it. It could get expensive over time but if you get in a bind it works. You do the translation on your computer so you don't have to send the file anywhere.

Chad

For the most part our customers using Cat V5 are not allowed to export parameterized files. (legality of some sort) so they send it out in a model which is a dumb solid.

The step converter works most of the time but .X_T works best.

• 4 weeks later...