Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Starting Your Own Programming Business

Luther_Heggs

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That's why I tell them up front, that changes(that means toolpath or geometric) will be billed by the hour. Kind of a way to keep from getting on a job that gets out of hand.

An hourly rate then would make sense but would greatly depend on equipement used and software calculation time ... wouldn't it?

How would you go about giving a project price tag to a series of complex molds (10-15) with a separate price tag for each one.

Luc

Hi Guys,

I know Mr. Potter first hand from Class and can assure you he had nothing bad to say to Otter. Kens a first class guy and he's doing well in his contract work because he know's how to handle himself with people. My advice to all of you is that your relationship skills with potential customers is just as important as flawless code. the big problwm with contract work is that everyone has a different impression of what make a good program. Communication and understanding is king!! Would you agree Cad puppy wink.gif

Thanks Instructer Guy

The first thing i learned as a contract programmer is to always remember .THEY NEED YOU MORE THAN YOU NEED THEM!!! So dont play around with them. Deal with the owner on the basis of trust & how you can program his part better & faster without tying up a machine tool for days over his top floor guys. To this day there are shops that are stuck on STUPID & are still programing at the control wasting machine time with debuging the program ,Busting tools and set up scrap. There are shops That dont mind spending 100K plus for a machine tool YET balk at spending 5K to 30k for a cadcam system that will make the money.BTW if a shopowner wants to buy a cadcam system cause he sees how i do it I want a finders fee! Then again I dont let them see how its done. cool.gif

later

quote:

How do I get started and do you think there's enough money in it?
quote:

I could do it at night for a while until it took off....

Answer to #1= Start offering to shops around you & yes(need to get some thing to program with.)

Answer to #2= This how i started.

[ 02-07-2002, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Jay

Sometimes I go on sight but that depends on the political enviroment on the shop floor.Shop formans/or head guy veiw you as a threat.Also theres the game of hire you a few times & put a spy to Snoop over your shoulder.

DONT FAll FOR IT! Remember your not there to train anybody! Give them the line " I gotta concentrate I,ll call you if i have to ask you a question !"

Then give em a dirty look:mad: Then they will leave ya alone.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Remember your not there to train anybody!

This is why I would prefer working at home. If I actually work for a company training people is one thing but contract programming is another and time is money so lets get this thing going.

You guys with this thread have persuaded me to concentrate on contract progamming. I quit my job 3 weeks ago and I feel like this would be excellent fit for me. So I have a few questions, what would be price range of full MasterCam license, more info on how you base or calculate your time beforehand. Also a few of my potential customers use a DNC-like system for their 5-axis machines named NIT or NTI ??, wich requires APT based programming language (no posting), anyone know if MasterCam is capable of this?. I currently use NCL for this, but cost would be prohibitive. [email protected]

quote:

what would be price range of full Mastercam license

To answer this thought you either need to call my office and I can give this answer sense you are in my area. I am not allowed to give pricing on the forum.

quote:

more info on how you base or calculate your time beforehand.

1) Is an hourly rate.

2) This is were experience (sp?) comes in hand, the more shapes you program the more you have an idea it will take to program the next.

quote:

Also a few of my potential customers use a DNC-like system for their 5-axis machines named NIT or NTI ??, wich requires APT based programming language (no posting), anyone know if Mastercam is capable of this?.

Well one of my customers that I am programming for right now is out near you.

And are doing it like this, with the APT thought.

So I am out putting APT from MC for them to post to the machine.

They use Mastercam & NCL.

quote:

I currently use NCL for this, but cost would be prohibitive.

Are you saying that the cost to start is the factor, if you can start doing this now or later after making some capital?

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me ,if you have more questions.

Office numbers are on my web site.

Thanks Jay, for your input. As I understand, you are dealer for MasterCam?, If so I will be contacting you for further information and pricing. On "prohibitive", I was referring to purchase of NCL and the required Hardware for that system. Can I get some reassurances from any of you that MCam is as capable as NCL?.

Jay, noticed your in Valencia, are you familiar with HydroMill, ADI, or Ralee??

quote:

are you familiar with HydroMill, ADI, or Ralee??

Oh you bet I am.The only one that does not ring a bell or I have not done work for is Ralee were are they? And why are they not my customer?

quote:

Can I get some reassurances from any of you that MCam is as capable as NCL?.

Yep right here. tongue.gif

Feel free to contact me sir.

[ 02-13-2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Hi everbody i would like to say to everone that this is a great place to get information on mastercam.I am 23 years old been a toolmaker for about 7 years.All my programming time on mazak machine. on old 32m mazatrol and now on

quick300 lathe vtc200mill brand new control mazatrol 640fushion on both of them.I use mastercam for programing all my surfacing and now im trying to use it on my 4th axis so if there is someone that can help me please. thankyou