Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Starting Your Own Programming Business

Luther_Heggs

Entertaining the idea of starting my own CNC programming & modeling out of my house. Sick of working for someone else to the point of wanting to do my own thing.

First expense would be to buy a full blown seat of Mastercam along with a fast computer. Start a web site to make my presence known and get some work over and above who I know I can get some from now.

Questions that have come up: how much responibilty would you take for the actual Gcode? I would like to think 101%, but then you would need 2 million post processors at your disposal. Does anyone have a "machine definition sheet" for new customers asking for things like "what EXACTLY do you want to happen at a tool change", etc.

How do I get started and do you think there's enough money in it? I could do it at night for a while until it took off....

luther,

There are many different answers to your questions. Some Customers are hack shops and all they want is 1x depth of cut/ finish pass and they will take care of the rest.... Other shops want a perfect, flawless, and optimal program with set up books tool lists etc etc usually because they have less than qualified help setting jobs up! If you can work with people/shops that are familiar with your work and style that would be a good start then word of mouth gets around for more customers. To keep yourself busy you might have to heavily shop around. I try not to bid on jobs but charge time only and it works out pretty good for some extra money. I hope this hels a little.

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: toby ]

Luther,

I do contract programming and the "customer relationship" side of the business is not that big of a deal. I start out giving them a quote with my hourly rate, estimated time, total bill due. State on the quote what you will & will not be held responsible for, "unless otherwise stated in previous conversation with customer that you will be held liable for anything in particular". Make sure all your bases are covered and that you do not screw yourself or the customer. I give a complete tool list with manufacture name. Explicit details on how the part(s) should be set up, etc... As I said, it is not that big of a deal or that big of a money maker. The money is OK, but do not count on the money for seious income.

Hope this helps. You may contact me via e-mail if you have any other particular questions.

Trevor Bailey

Gooday,

Along this line.

I am attempting to get started in a programming and 3D machining service, for cavities, cores, electrodes for mold shops lacking the 3D knowledge , time, or talent. Does anyone presently specialize in this service that could offer information or expierience? Mastercam would, of course, be my software choice. However ther are several other variables I would appreciate opinions on.

TIA

I don't only just do mold stuff,but is a big part offering of what i do.

alott of my back round has been with molds.

what is it. that you want to know that i may be able to help with.

just give me an email.

And what Gstephens was talking ablout is a large help when it comes to molds.

whoo is the masked man Gstephens?

Cadcam,

My intent is not to do moldwork. I don't want to work on bases or do assembly, pins, etc.. I would just like to do the 3D machining required, leave material (maybe .010" p/s) on the perimeter for fitting and ship the parts out. A prototype shop in the area has machinists whom work well in 2D, but, they don't know the first thing about CAM and multi axis maching, and would like to farm out the 3D work, I'm thinking, why don't I do the 3D work. It is what I enjoy. I wthough maybe someone out there may already be in this exact type of situation.

Thanks for the reply. I will email you.

Otter: (an animal that doesn't do anything that isn't fun)

Mr. Potter,

You know absolutely nothing about me personally, including the quality of my work. I have been manufacturing tooling for over 20 years and take a GREAT deal of pride in what I do. I just happen to feel there may be a demand for quality 3D work in a timely fashion.

I don't know you nor now do I have the desire.

Thanks for your incredibly helpful reply (I do consider it an insult). I would sooner have preferred to be ignored.

I'll be in touch.

I don't think Kenneth's comments were targeted at Otter, rather at the shops hopefully Otter may be able to assist.

Looks like a bit of misunderstanding, and unfortunately Otter asked that I remove his/her account.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Webmaster ]

Otter,

I hope you stop by and read this.

I don't think Kenneth's comment "Hack Shops"

was directed at you. I think he was refering

to potential customers who need your services

because they are "hack shops".

I'm sure Kenneth will clear it up next time he logs on.

I've been doing contract programming as a night job for almost 4 years now. Its mostly

lathe and simple to complex 2 1/2 D work.

I'd like to do it full time, but I see a

problem with that.

I'd probably need four or five steady customers to make a deccent living. If two or three of them got busy at the same time, I wouldn't be able to service them and I'd lose customers.

Another drawback to contract programming is the unpredictability of it. Yesterday morning

I called my customers to see if any of them had work over the weekend. None of them did, so I made plans. This morning one of them

has an emergency and he could care less about my plans. He needs a program Tuesday

AM. If I want to keep him as a customer, I'd best deliver.

Good luck with you plans and I hope you'll

reconcider you membership here.

Otter

DUDE !

Gheeh man chill out! confused.gif Hack shops as a contract programmer is were ya find work! So i say to you GO GETEM! Thats all i,m saying.

A bit of foot work & a good dog & pony presentation will get your foot in the door to a lot of hack"butcher" shops. biggrin.gif

Wheew !

Kenneth Potter

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

Another tragic case of a misunderstood communication. Rule #1: if you think you've been insulted, ask for a clarification!

There's actually an important business lesson here. Contract programming is a tough business, and open dialog is essential to success.

Sorry for Otter, but assuming the worst did not bode well for his future as a contract programmer.

On the bright side, if you are reading this, Sir Otter, it is a valuable lesson learned that, should you go for this business idea, will save you many thousands of $$ in the future! Learn from it, and think about this little misunderstanding in the future if you have the same gut reaction, and remember Rule #1.

In any case, we all wish you the best of luck and good fortune regardless of what you do.

Otter Ottter Otter

One day when you find a contract job in a hack shop that already has a in house programmer that Sucks. You WILL get plenty of insults from him biggrin.gif Your going to be blasted with head games that might cause you to go Postal! So Keep your cool cool.gif dude

Stay in this forum,Dont leave, I Love Drama.

tongue.gif Just kidding tongue.gif

Good luck.

Kenneth Potter

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

I've done work for a shop where an employee

edited my code to make the machine crash.

The guy didn't want an outside programmer

doing his job and tried to make me look bad.

The shop owner called me screaming blue murder. Fortunately I'd emailed the gcode as an attached file and my original email was still in the deleted email folder. I told him to compare my emailed file to the file in the machine.

The unhappy employee was busted (and fired)

eek.gif

Contract programming can get rough!

Thanks gcode thats the kind of stuff i,m talking about! This sort of mind games are common in shops. That type of person i always look for as my selling point to the shop owner .Mr Territorial is his name. To help your self get work as a contract programmer You must expose this stupidty to the SHOP OWNER to gain his trust. Once that happens your in like Flint Dude. Shop owners want profit & are unaware of how his employees are screwing him over. Gcode that same thing happen to me ! & my back up copys along with the file compair in the editor busted him.

Let the GAMES Begin cool.gif

Kenneth Potter

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

LOL!!!!!

I would have to say that Otter's probability of being successful at contract programming is pretty slim at best. As was noted by several of my friends in here, You will be attacked, called names, set up(or framed if you prefer), and any other bad thing you can imagine.

Just some food for though for would be Contract Programmers.

• 5 months later...

I've got a question to follow on this thread:

How do you go about evaluating the time required (read price to charge) for a complex mold part?

Any advice or experience on this would be appreciated.

Luc

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The amount of time it takes me to do something, may take you 1/2 the time or double the time. You need to figure out how much you want to make on each job. That would be the determining factor.

I didn't read the entire thread, but I have some experience making a living at contract programming. The best approach I found was to charge a per-hour rate. That way the customer knows he is paying for it when he asks you to do work instead of trying to get more for his money by asking for more work under the same contract.