Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool compensation

Joel Witherspoon

Joel,

Welcome to the Forum!

The cutter comp problem is most likely because you need lead in/out moves. A Fadal may work with arcs but I would recommend using lines or lines and arcs. You can always test your MC9 file with a "box stock" mpfan or mpmaster post(from this website) to ensure that it is not the post.

Look in help (alt H) > Index > compensation > about cutter compensation

I was going to copy it but it was long.

The on-line help in Mastercam is always there. When you hit alt H, it gives help that is corresponding with the area of Mastercam that you are in at that very moment.

When in a dialog box, just hit the ? mark in the top right of the window and select the item that you need help with.

I don't know if I explained it properly but I think you will understand.

There are many books and other material available.

Look at the books tab on this website. There are some good ones. I also like the book by Lin and Shiue, ISBN 1-886552-16-9. I got mine from my dealer but you can also buy it on-line.

Here

You may want to look at these CD's

The first one is from Mike Mattera. He is a forum member.

Mike's CD's

Also these:

Here

Post some thoughts and more people may post other links.

HTH smile.gif ,

Mike

[ 03-26-2005, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Michael Whitten ]

Michael nailed it. Most of the time it's because the lead in has an arc and no line. YOU MUST START COMP ON A LINE. Set the lead in Line at 40% and the arc to 30% with a 30° sweep. Should work well for most outside contour. Use Wear Comp. This will give you comp adjustment at the machine as the cutter wears down (or is re-ground).

Mike Mattera

On our Fadals (and Haas for that matter) I have to select "perpendicular" for the line movement in order to get it to turn cutter comp on during the line move and not on the G3 (ramp on) move. This was advice given to me by my reseller. Hope it helps

quote:

YOU MUST START COMP ON A LINE.

A line is not required to turn on comp on a Fadal. You can even turn it on with a tangent move, but the results are unpredictable.

I would recommend using a perp line and an optional arc with it.

Thad

On a Fadal tangent and perpendicular will both work. The trick is making sure that the control can calculate the move. If you are using "control" compensation in Mastercam then the fadal will need to move more than 50% of the cutter diameter and that goes for perpendicular geometry in a chain as well. This rule doesn't apply in wear compensation because since the cutter is offset in mastercam the control does not make a computation resulting in a negative number. It is the same thing when dealing with corner radii. The tool radius has to be less than the corner radius.

I got off track...

If you want to use perpendicular entry with control compensation set the line length to a value greater than the cutter radius (for example... line length should be .251 or greater for 1/2" EM)

If you can use parallel you can make the value as low as .0001" and it will work.

In any case most Mastercam posts turn comp on at the first feed move whether it be a G1, G2, OR G3 so you may want to get into the habit of using a line and an arc even if the line is only .010"