Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

IGES Converting

Had a customer call in today having a problem converting an IGES and writing it to a floppy. I verified his converter by having him write one to desktop... Works fine.

My question is,

Is this a problem for other users still stuck with using a floppy? if so, a quick fix is to write to the hard drive, followed by manually moving the file to the floppy.

this customer's file did show up on the floppy when he used mastercam to write it, but the file contained no data. My estimation is the file was writing and the customer accidentally abandoned the task, thinking the file was already written.

If anyone else has had this problem pls let me know.

THX-

flame.gif

i digitize with an older model faro arm, on a dos based pc using cadkey 7 and reveng. i convert all my files to iges and put them on a floppy to bring to my mastercam machine. i have never had any problems.the files are on the harddrive of the older computer after they are converted. i have to copy all my code to take out into the plant on floppies. still no problems in 10 years.

I agree. Relying on data buffers and magnetic film just doesn't do it for me. It's just too affordable these days to go with digital memory devices.

In Mastercam, I never work from a floppy. It's bad practice, in my opinion, to rely on data buffers and slow writing techniques when not necessary. Bear in mind though, the older, DOS based versions were designed to work from floppies. In newer versions, a great deal of users utilizing 3-D mill can't even fit their files on floppies. Even NC Files are getting too big.

Still though, I think it was probably an operator error.

ThX