Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Interesting opportunity.

Bruce Caulley

I have designed a product that I am hoping to license to a US company. I have made the first prototype and now need to make some changes and make another one. I could continue to scrape around here for machine hours or even contract it to someone locally, but the problem is distance and time. The people who need to see the product are in the US. Who knows how many times small changes would be needed before it is spot on?

Ideally I would like a small company interested in a prototype development project. Someone self-employed with his or her own machine shop would be ideal. The project would require some manual manufacturing skills also. They would need to be willing to take responsibility for sourcing all of the items necessary to finish the assembly. This may or may not include recommending design changes. Above all I need someone who will pursue the project as if it was his or her own.

I cannot give any details unfortunately, but I am sure that once any interested party has seen it that they will jump at the chance to be involved.

Other requirements.

1. Mastercam (Obviously)

2. Solidworks 2005 (preferable)

3. Must be willing to sign a comprehensive Non disclosure agreement.

4. Lathe

5. Mill with at least a manual 4th axis/ indexer.

I have not yet decided wether or not to ask for a quote for this work, or to offer a partnership agreement. I am open to negotiation on this subject.

If you are interested think about the implications for a couple of days and then e-mail me at my home address [email protected] with a resume of your capabilities. If anyone knows of someone they think might be interested, please pass this on to them.

Thanks all.

Bruce

[ 04-13-2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: BC10146 ]

Well sounds to me like you needs business parter if they need to do all of that. You may have the idea but if it is not fully working and you are looking for someone to be that envolved and do this you either need to be paying then a comparable shop rate which is about $55-75/hr depending on the shop or you need to make them a part owner of said product.

I wish you luck but in my humble opinion you are asking alot.

I didn't explain myself very well. Product already works. I just don't have time to make another one with some small modifications. If all goes well the whole project should take no more than 2 weeks to organise.

I am interested in getting quotes for this job more than I am in finding a partner at the moment. I just can't send this to some of the bigger manufacturers as there are a few intelectual property issues. Small jobbing shop would be the most uncomplicated way to make this happen. I get the impression that a lot of manufacturing happens in small operations in the US so I thought I would see what sort of response I got from these shops first.

There are more than a couple of reasons this needs to be done over there. I'll see what sort of response I get. I might need to post some more "bait".

Bruce

Thanks for all of the responses. cheers.gif All that have shown an interest are more than capable of doing this work.

A vice President of the company interested will be visiting here next month. I would then probably have a more detailed idea of how they would like to see the finished article.

Since I now have a bit more time, and I have sorted out some other issues its it now time for some more "bait"

Whoever does this work must also handle any paperwork necessary for the manufacture of firearms.

Bruce

Bruce,

I was out of the communication link over the weekend, so I missed the last "bait".

We have not done firearms mfg, but it doesn't scare us off, and my personal high level of interest in firearms would be considered a strength, I believe.

Keep us posted.