Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Speeding up Surface Shading

Hi All,

How do I speed up surface shading? It took twenty five minutes to shade a drawing containing about 35 surfaces. The computer here is running XP-home @ 2.0Ghz and 512 mag ram. Video card is an NVidia GForce Ti 4200. I know that I need to upgrade to at least 9.1 but only have 8.? (newest supported)

Thanks

Karl

Check "Chord Height" in the Shading Settings.

The defualt setting is .002"

The bigger it is, the faster a model will shade

the smaller,the better the appearance.

Is the part very large? Last year I did some

aircraft bulkheads that were 15ft by 4ft by 6 inches. It took a while to shade the solid model, but not 25 minutes !!!

Thanks for the replies,

I did a analyse - check model with the default setting of .005. message box says

0 of 50 are trimmed

20 internal sharp corners found ????

Does this mean the surfaces are bad?

If so how do I fix them?

The shading settings are still at the default of .002

I just learned not to save the file while shaded!!

file get takes 20 - 30 min.

Size of the model is approx 20" diameter.

Any other suggestions, Other then upgrade to 9 then X.

Karl

No Lee you are mistaken. From personal experience I can say that depending on your system, the open GL setting makes a big difference. Now with my current system it means nothing, but when I was using other older systems in the past, probably running V8 at the time, there was a huge difference, and hitting the shade button would actually puke MC if there were tough surfaces to shade. I can't remember the exact system specs of those boxes right now (CRS), but it was real.

As for Karl's current problem, all the suggestions above are good and I didn't mean to take us off track here.

If the internal sharp corners are severe, it may cause trouble, but with only 50 untrimmed surfs I would guess that they were created from something pretty funky, and could be simplified. I have made surfs that were from nasty splines and really stretching MC's ability and they would take forever to shade.

Well that's my .02

quote:

file get takes 20 - 30 min.

Woah... eek.gif

What I do in a crappy spline situation is to break up the spline and create arcs and lines.

For most general purpose machining apps, surfaces made from arcs and lines that are slightly non tangent will not be noticed.

This will greatly improve file get.

I've found that when I have a large(inch-wise) surface model, it will take forever to open, shade, and toolpath. Murlin's approach of "cleaning up the geometry"(even making new surfaces) seems to help the most. Sometimes making a solid works too. Both approaches take some time, but when compared to the time(an aggrevation) of working with a slow model....well, you see where I'm going.

Good luck,

scott

Just wondering... have you checked the graphics acceleration setting on your computer? Maybe someone had slowed it right down at some point in the past.

You can check this by going into the Control Panel, then Display, then the Settings page, press Advanced and finally look at the Troubleshoot page. Usually the slider would be on full, all the way to the right.

I have a TI4200 at home, and V8 never had any big problems with shading.

Thanks guys for all the advice, cheers.gif to all

Nothing seems to help. File was created by me in MC

and is almost all splined coons patches. File size is 63.8 Mb eek.gif huge for the drawings I am used to. Guess I'll work with it as is banghead.gif Can't wait til I add toolpaths might take a week for file get. Maybe I'll load file at 5:00 then at 8:00 next day it'll be ready.

Thanks again for all the help

Karl

If the file was created in Mastercam and you have 20 internal sharp corners, you will have nothing but trouble with it. The surfaces should be recreated as I doubt that youll get the results you want. Perhaps you can upload the file to the FTP site so we can have a look?

Allan