Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis positioning

Go Navy

Good Afternoon all

I am trying to simply machine the same geometry on the top and bottom of a part using a rotary head to position my work. The problem I am having is everytime I select the bottom view for a construction and geometry plane MC outputs code that actually machines the mirror of what I would like about the Y axis. I spoke to my reseller and they suggested that I set my axis with my z plane in the down position to solve my problem. I tried that but I'm not sure I did it right. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

Al

Go Navy,

You should not use the bottom or the back system planes. Create new planes at these locations and apply your tool paths using the new planes.

But you said you are machining the same geometry all the way around. I would only program the top view and then use transform rotate get the rest of the path.

John and Brendan

Transform rotate did the job THANKS!!

Could either of you give me a short course on how too set the planes so that I can rotate a part that has different geometry on the top and bottom or the front and back. I keep trying and just can't seem to get a hold of it...

thanks again for pulling me out of the hole I had dug for myself....

Enjoy your day

al

quote:

Could either of you give me a short course on how too set the planes so that I can rotate a part that has different geometry on the top and bottom or the front and back. I keep trying and just can't seem to get a hold of it...

WCS

Theres one on the FTP site or you can download mine:

WCS_Tutorial

PEACE biggrin.gif

Steve,

You are a 'slimeball'....

That wcs link bring you to your hardmilling site!!!! eek.gif

Go navy,

It is a little difficult to explain but you need to create your toolpath,then I click on the T/C plane button/shut off working coordinate system,click on toolplane select button,(this opens up view manager)right click in view manager,create,then select menu,I then pick entity,only,(this will bring up a list of diff. geometry options to pick from)then I pick say a circle from the pc. of geometry I want to cut,then I save,give it a name in the view manager,click ok this will bring you back to the toolplane/const. box.

Now make sure that toolplane and construction planes match.

This is how I do it,and there could be many other maybe even easier ways others do it.

Mike Mattera (here on the forum) has a new great interactive cd rom which takes you through all the steps.

I have purchased it,and it is worth its weight in gold.

God Mike,if I only got a nickel for everytime I say this..... wink.gif

If you just pick " WCS - Bottom " your Y axis is going the wrong direction for rotary. It's the same problem you have if you pick "Back". In that case the X and the Y are going the wrong way. I find that it's best to set you plane by geometry, selecting the two lines that represent your X & Y direction.

Brenden is right (thank's Brenden, your 5¢ is on the way biggrin.gif ), all this, and a lot more, is covered in the Rotary Training CD. http://www.tipsformanufacturing.com/html/rotary_contour.html

Rotary in Mastercam is not hard. It's just that there are so many ways of doing things, depending on the Cad data you have to start with.

Mike Mattera

• 10 years later...

Go Navy,

You should not use the bottom or the back system planes. Create new planes at these locations and apply your tool paths using the new planes.

Is there a way to create these new planes permanently as to not have to create them with every new job and maybe assign them to a toolbar icon?