Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

anubody used mfq quote

MCFELIX

Concerning getting work from MFG Quote, it is my experiance that lots of contracts are put up for bid, but few are awarded. The salesman at mfg quote would not allow any trail period or evaluation period, and required a full 12 mount comitment before allow you to bid on anything and see if any work might be available for you.

This seems like it would be a great service to a small shop that is looking for new customers. If the work was really there, I would expect that a 30 day trial to be available.

Strangely, I know another Bryan Johnson (Part Factory) here in Minnesota that says the same thing as Bryan Johnson from TX.

No trial subscription.

Bryan says the work he's seen from there ended up at starvation bidding prices on awarded contracts. Part Factory is already a VERY low overhead, Very competitive, and VERY competant shop. If HE'S talking no profit margin in work from MFG Quote, forget about it.

The thing about these services is that alot of the big compnaies are using this as quilifer for sneding work oversea. If they have a target prine of .47 per unit and here materail cost .55 per unit you have lost before you start. Thye get their 3 competive bids required by most aganecies to allow you to send work oversea and they did not have to lift a finger to do it. By joining this you get the chance to bid work but at what won rate. You get only 5% of the work and have to do it at a break even or loss just to do it it throwing money away in my book. If it take you an average of 45 minutes a quote and doing 20 a week that is 15 hours a week wasted and 780 hours a year wasted so for a small shop needed atleast $45 and hour to cover their quoting it cost them $35,000 to have a service that makes them lose money by nature and costs them anywhere from $2500 to $10000 a year in which to do so. No thanks but I would rather see you hit the pavement or put that money in new equipment or tools.

Just my humble opinion.

[Disclaimer: The author of this email (me) used to be the VP of Marketing for MfgQuote.]

Felix,

MfgQuote offers a no-cost, no-obligation, totally free Test Drive of their system. What does this mean? It means you can sign up to "get inside" the MfgQuote service, view actual jobs (no, you can't get a hold of the actual prints/models/plans; but you can see a preview) including quantities, material, location of the Buyer (prospect), and other information about the RFQ (Request for Quote). It is my understanding that this Test Drive does not have a time limit - and I have known people to "watch" the system for over six months to see the type and quantity of work that comes in. NOTE: MfgQuote can give you that info if you talk to a sales person and save you six months watching.

You can sign-up for the Test Drive from the MfgQuote homepage or here.

Since there is so much misinformation floating around about MfgQuote, and since I have personal knowledge and experience with the service and many of their customers, I'll write up something later today that might be useful to you and others who are considering MfgQuote.

In the meantime, if you want to talk to me about it please give me a call at my office number.

I've used it with some success too. MFG quoting for screw machine parts turned out to be a real winner. Other parts we've ended up awarding to local companies through mfg. quote, that we would'nt have found otherwise.

Also, we decide to buy more machines and keep the complex stuff in house....