Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT-sink EDM training resources

El Scotthead

Morning all.

Does anyone know of any good books/online resources/cds & dvds/etc. on running a sinker?

I've been running the sinkers here for about 3 years, but never had any training. (When you have to learn on the fly, you don't always pick up the best methods) Unfortunately, the boss says the company can't afford to send me to the Mitsubishi training courses. frown.gif

Thanks,

scott

Mitsubishi EX-8 CNC sink

Eltee Pulsitron manual plunger

Not really what you asked for but 2 things that helped me the most when I was younger and learning to run a manual sinker in a mold shop were. 1) use a AM radio to amplify burning sound to hear it burn better and shop owner told me the secret to faster burning is flush,flush,flush.

Without Mits training, I think you might be on your own, Scotthead. Support from Mits is probably your best help. We have a brand new EA12V, and the guy who got training on it has very little CNC experience, thus he's getting stuck a lot. Tell your boss if he wants to get his money's worth out of the machine, pay for your training. And tell him the Chinese mold shops have no problems training their people.

Kev,

I did actually know about using AM radio. I have to be careful, though, because the cnc sink and wire machine are in the same room and the AM will pick up signals from both of those as well. And your owner is correct--flushing makes all the difference.

Micro,

Mits support isn't always to be relied upon. But I have bugged them plenty with questions.

I agree whole-heartedly with your comment on the Chinese--in this market, getting the most out of technology is the only way we're gonna win this one. But both myself and the wire guy have been bugging him for a couple years to send us to our respective training. Answer's always the same--"maybe next year the company can afford it." It's exactly that mentallity that is why we're barely afloat right now. :shrugs: Whataya gonna do?

scott

“maybe next year the company can afford it.” In the mean time you’re only running at 70% of what you could be. This is cheaper than the class?

If you by a new machine and run it just like you ran the old one, why did we buy the new machine? Investing in technology and then using that technology is the only way to be competitive anymore.

Scott, If the boss won't spring for the training, see if he will pony up $1500. for the triple diamond partnreship program. I've never waited more than 20 minutes for a call back from MC Machinery, and they will spend as much time on the phone as you need to solve any problem you may have.

Keith

Scotthead,

I don't know if this will help or not, but....

In my experience (disclaimer), I spent my early burning months trying to really comprehend the burning process. In doing so I found that the EDM technical manual put out by POCO EDM (its free, too) was a great help in understanding what happens in the spark gap and what really happens when off time, on time, etc are adjusted. Then spending time reading through the machine manuals to learn at what increments the machine could be adjusted.

Most of the folks that I apprenticed under would probably still deem edm as some black art form to get it to run. Hence, they almost always used the same settings. One for roughing, one for finishing regardless of burn size, etc. And, although I agree that flushing is important, it is possible to overflush. ie, the hydraulic effect when trying to force an electrode into a burn faster than the oil can escape or causing the electrode to flex or move. Also, if the oil is moving too quickly through the burn area then the voltage is fluctuating too much which doesn't allow effective burning. etc.

Get the EDM technical manual here Also, if you look through EDM Today magazine there are some good books advertised.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Just a note on the Mits. ESPER programming: the AI fuzzy logic is supposed to sense and adjust the burning conditions. When I worked with a Mits around '99 I found that it was better to stick with Mits.'s "do not flush" method and let the machine, sloooooowly do its thing over night.