Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anybody in X using one"machine" for many

rsbeadle

I would like to set up one Machine definition for several different posts to several VMC's. The new X post setup is slowing me down. Is there a way to make the post option not greyed out? I program about 20 parts a day and run them on several machines, so I post them to all machines and my operators just setup the first one that finishes with the next part in line. I was thinking of making a VB script in V9 but I decided to wait for X. The new X post setup requires the NC destination to be set in the Machine parameters and the numbered questions in the post are ignored. A VB script in X will be an interesting animal.

rsbeadle:

In response to your issue posting to multiple machines.

You should have a dfferent Machine and Control Definition for each machine. This will create alot of flexibility for you.

For example; Create a machine definition for MACHINE-1 and assign a control definition that references the file location you want used. Create a Machine definition for MACHINE-2 and assign a control definition with a different file location you want to use. Once you have a Machine definition for each machine you can select them from the -Machine Type- drop down. This will create a machine group in the Operations manager for each machine definition you select. The Operations Manager supports multiple machine definitions/groups in one file allowing you to even have Lathe and Mill toolpaths in one file if you have them both liscensed.

Now, place the red insert arrow, found in the operation manager,in the Machine Group you want your toolpath created in. Basically the operations manager should have a machine definition/group open for each machine you want to use with the toolpaths organized in the correct groups relative to where they will be run. When you post a file it will automatically reference the file location set in the control deinition the Machine definition/group is referencing, you can still change this location if you need by selecting -Files- if you expand the machine group propertie in the operations manager. You can even select all toolpaths to post all at once and they will all save off to the proper locations you defined in the Control definitions being used by the Machine definitions in each group.

Hope this helps [big Grin]

Dave

--------------------

Dave

So far this is what I have been doin:

put all ops in one machine group

then if I want to change post just click on the properties then files and change post there.

something I've been thinking about is using the name active.pst used for the post name and a script that asks which post to make active.( The script then copies mypost.pst to active.pst)

Both methods happen before hitting post button

Dave, I read your response to the earlier post. You are correct in that it is very useful to have a machine def for each machine. I am not posting different groups to different machines, I am posting the same ops to all machines. Now I lose about 5 min posting one program to 3 different machines because I have to change machine in the files page and then go back and post the ops again. It was much faster in V9 to post the same ops multiple times with different posts.

I'm not sure if the post will output correctly if the control def is not active with its corresponding post. We need script that will call up the control def as well as the post to get the correct output. A generic control def using several posts might work but I don't know how to script it.

Check out this image. I have 4 posts available for the machine.

pic2.jpg

I went to edit control def. clicked on the post button and added the post I wanted. I then saved the def with each post highlighted.

Then I pick my machine and in the machine group files I selected files. Then machine tool path I selected edit and the picked my post.

It's all in the help and reference guide.

Looks pretty cool, thanks. Looking forward to the roll-out my reseller is putting on thur. and getting my copy.

Now how do go to the SW r-out too? headscratch.gif

BTW-just curious if you had to convert any of your posts...?

quote:

machine defintion created by updatepost.dll

does this answer my ?

Kinglouie:

Yes. I used the update dll to convert the post from V8 and it created a machine and control def. All the conversions are fairly simple and the conversion documentation is great.

I am going to try to explain how to select multiple posts for a single Machine Definiton.

select a valid Machine Definition

go into Corntrol Definition and select the Post Processor selection box.

select add files, in this dialog box you can select mulitple post by using standard windows options(contol, shift).

after exiting the add post files dialog box, you will see that when you select the pull down menu for post processors the files you added have been added to the pull down.

YOU ARE HALF WAY AT THIS POINT.

any post in the list that has a "+" (plus sign) has not been saved to the current Control Definition.

select a post you would like to make available to the current Machine Definiton and save the control definiton file, the "+" sign changes to a green check mark, and if you check under Exsisting Definitons the posts you have added will be listed. (TIP)You need to save the control definiton every time you add one additional post.

To change the post for an exsisting op select files under Machine Group Properties in your Operations Manager and then "edit!" under the Machine - Toolpath copy heading, that will take you back to Machine Definition Manager and you can select a different post from the pull down menu.

When starting a new job you can make the chjange by access the machine definiton manager before select a Machine type.

see simple,

Greg, I understand how do do what you are explaining. The problem is in the op manager, not the control definition. I have my generic machine set up with 6 posts. The problem is I can't select one when I click post in the op manager. And even if I could I don't think it would work properly. The Control definition now controls what would be the main differences in my posts anyway (NC destination, coolant ops, file extention,...). I have been posting all ops to one machine, changing machines, and then posting all ops to the new machine. It is more time consuming than in V9 but It will get the job done.

I agree, being able to select the post at the posting operation in v9 was a lot more simple.

I also use a single machine definition and many different posts for various situations.

Also, being able to pick a post style set-up sheet and run in like a post rather than from the right click menu would give the option of choosing where you save the set-up sheet rather than default location in the machine control.

Steve,

I havent' heard if you had successfully updated the post I sent you but I have had good results. It did take some work and editing but it works well. The conversion put some extra $ in the spindle speed def. but I have eliminated my post as a problem using X for the most part. I am now using one post and machine def. for more than one machine control. As you probably saw the post asks you for which to post to. This is IMO the most effiecent way to produce code for multiple machines that may run the part.