Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

stl file to use as material in verify

kkominiarek

I want to use an stl file saved from a verify op in MC for material in another verify op.

(using MC or SW or both)

I verified a file in MC then I saved it as an stl file. (the file is 39 mb, all lines)

My plan was to import the stl file into SW, then save as an SW solid/stl file, then bring it back to MC. However the file when imported into SW is not a solid, it's a feature.

Feature Statistics

DH-02-145-OP2material

Features 1, Solids 0, Surfaces 0

Total rebuild time in seconds: 0.00

When I try to save as an stl or sldprt or x_t... I get an error saying no solids exist.

How do I use an stl file from verify for another verify operation? banghead.gif

kkominiarek,

Open the Verify Configuration (in V9 the far left button on the Verify toolbar). In X this is the folder with red exclamation point right above the speed slider.

b4f0x1.jpg

In Verify configuration select the "File" for stock shape and click on the browse button to the right of the "Stock file" field.

b4f1va.jpg

This should automatically open the same directory where you saved the file as an STL from Verify. Highlight the file name and select Open to use it for the Verify of your current toolpath. HTH cheers.gif

The stl file I have is 39mb in size and contains 975846 lines. it took 45 mins to load as well as 45 min to perform each rotate, flip, move, etc...etc...

Is this how stl are meant to be used?

I don't have the time to use this file.

Are there any shortcuts that I don't know about??

Am I using the stl file correctly?

I've searched the site and while I found lots of discussion on stl files....I found no definitive answers.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

kkominiarek,

STL files are often quite large. Instead of converting the file directly in Mcam, use the "Xform STL" function in the Xform menu. The maximum # of triangles can be displayed on the screen by replacing the default # (usually 5000) with a 0. Then the type of transformation can be performed.

b5fwad.jpg

Usually this is faster because you're not actually converting the file and Xforming the linear geometry in Mcam. I rotated a 42 Mb STL file in less than 5 seconds. If you want to flip the STL 180 degrees, make sure you're in another Cplane before you start to use the Xform STL function. The 42 Mb file is still opening in my current session of Mcam X. HTH cheers.gif

• 1 year later...

kkominiaek,

Instead of actaully rotating your part and STL file 180 degrees I suggest using WCS to set the bottom of your part to top with a new origin in the location of your choice. Then your STL file will automatically be lined up when you go to verify your second operation. Many times if you start rotating your STL file you will get the "STL is not water tight" error. WCS works much better for doing multiple operations on different sides of your part when you do not want rotation moves.

Justin

Ken,

What kind of STL tolerances are you using? If you want to make the whole process work a bit better, try using a .005 or .01 tolerance for roughing. If you are trying to get super accurate you will need to put as much RAM in your computer as possible and be prepared to wait. Or get Predatator, Vericut, or take the time to setup Mastercam's new Simulation software.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Here at eMastercam we love to beat 'ol Nellie all the way to the glue factory biggrin.gif then when she's boxed up and ready to go to some elementary school, we break open the boxes and kick her some more biggrin.gif

Nope, the best solution is to write to [email protected], or write a VB Script, NetHook, or Chook. If you need Mastercam to do something, trust me, there is a way to get it done. Look at Moldplus, Verisurf, ProDrill, and any number of other advanced Chooks on the market. There are companies writing entire applications that only exist and run inside of Mastercam. Sometimes you just have to be willing to think outside the box.

I figured as much Matt wink.gif , but this kind of response keeps coming up occasionally. I know it is frustrating to have features not working or the desire to have functionality that just isn't available. I've been requesting improvements since version 6.13, and sometimes it does take a couple years for something to be implemented, but it actually does happen.