Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

break 2 pieces in X again...

Johnny

...all I want to do it break a line at its mid point with auto cursor or a snap point. I select trim/break, select entity and move to approx midpoint. No auto cursor!! I tried selecting the break icon on ribbon bar and it asks me to select an entity to break so i do it still no auto cursor or no facility to snap to a point. If I select trim to point icon on ribbon bar first then click break icon to the right of screen it works. basically changes from rim to point to break to point Go figure! confused.gif I just want to break a line at its midpoint without all this fuss. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

cheers.gif

Hi Mark, I understand that once you are in the command it keeps working. Just thought it weird that they removed the break 2 pieces command. I suppose its only a few more mouse clicks cuckoo.gif maybe someone will develop a one click CHOOK that will do the job.

Thanks for your input mate wink.gif

another way is break many pieces/enter number of pieces/pick entity..

And a little trick I learned yesterday at Triad which is a local MC distibutor:

you can break entity at any point you want, just move cursor to approximate location along an antity and click, it will snap to the closest point on this entity...

hth

Mark

Hello Johnny

Went through the same pain....

What I had to do is this...

Create>point>Create point Dynamic

(creating points to break to)

Then..Edit> Trim/Break>Trim/Break>Trim to Point and Break Buttons pressed in

Move cursor over breaks you will see it snap.

It works for me anyway.

stevieboy AkA GH

Looks like trim/break and then pick to a point and on the far right the icon for break. Pick the entity and move mouse near center. Worked easy.

Or go to break many and at the # prompt hit 2 and pick the entity. Either way with little effort.

Johnny,

once you have the Trim ribbon bar up, just type "B" to enter Break mode, then type "P" to activate Trim to Point. It's quicker, IMHO, than clicking on the buttoms. You should be able to break entities in half all day. I did notice that I have to move my mouse wheel a little to get autocursor to work sometimes, though. :shrugs: it hasn't slowed me down that much, so far.

BTW, there's another feature I really like and use heavily--Learning Mode. Just move the pointer over a buttom in the ribbon bar and it tells you all the shortcut keys associated with that particular ribbon bar.

HTH

scotty

Thanks Scotty, Billh for your comments. Yep Billh thats how I've been doing it and yes Scotty the key strokes do speed things up a bit. The original question was why there wasn't just a straight icon for break two pieces along with break many , break circles etc ie click icon select entity hover autocursor and click. 3 clicks and its done.

Thanks again

• 6 months later...

So, "Click on this button, click on this button, click on this button, click on this button, auto highlight the point (if it actually is the point you want)" is EASIER than "Break at midpoint"????

NOT

Though I do appreciate the help on this one guys.

"Still loving the X transition" Steve

We're getting the lottery here in NC tomorrow....maybe I can win and be done with all this silliness!!! wink.gif

Hey,while we're breaking can anyone tell me how to break at a length?Not in many pieces thats easy but I have not figured out how break a specified length on a line.I want to break the upper & lower chains of a 5 axis swarf path to go in & change the corner rad with the side of a cutter.

Mark Graham

Austin Machine

Edit - Trim/Break - Trim/Break

If the Break mode button is enabled, the 'trim' actions described in the Help Topic below become 'break' actions.

So if you wish to 'break' a line so far from an endpoint...

Set the mode to Break and click the Length button (middle of the Ribbon Bar) and enter a negative value and then click the line nearest the endpoint to wish to break at. If the length entered is a positive value a new line segment is added at the selected endpoint.

From the Help Topic on the Trim/Break ribbon bar...

Trim to Length

Trims or extends a selected entity based on a specified length.

Choose the Length button, type a value in the entry field to add

or subtract from the endpoint of the entity, and select the entity

in the graphics window. Make your selection by clicking closest to the endpoint from which you want to trim or extend the entity.

To extend the entity beyond the selected endpoint, type a positive number

in the length entry field.

To trim the entity from the selected endpoint, type a negative number in the length entry field.

This works for lines and arcs , and mabye other entities:

Trim/Break -> choose break, at point (to the right of divide), select entity, choose Relative (from the dropdown to the right of !), then either choose the point to be relative to and plug in the info OR press the white arrow to enter the along mode and enter the distance from the nearest end point.

cp