Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

USB Hasp key

cadcam

Looks kinda scary to me. As a matter of fact, when I bought mc7 I remember asking my dealer if they had an "internal" key maybe for a pci slot that someone would have to work real hard to get it if they want it. I smell problems........... hope I'm wrong.

Jim

Does it work on "LPT2"? I guess I could make my printer to work on LPT2 and use a ribbon for LPT1 and curl it on the inside. Of course this is a "parinoia" thing inside myself working in the Detroit area. Up here in P town if someone J-walks (no punn intended) they get publicy humiliated until they leave town. It's a little different....

Jamman ,

yes you can do that.

I use to run two ports and the first one was the printer and the second was the keys.

this way i didnt have to unpug the printer every time.

Now i just run the printer off the server & network.

Oh know800 posts,Watchout James here i come. smile.gif

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Networking is one of my closet passions. If I had a third computer in this building (I have production seperated from sales and showroom) it would become the print server. However; I only have two over here and both of them are Mastercam seats. I guess a USB printer would solve the issue also. Thanks for the tips-

Jim

HASP+PRINTER+NT

never had a problem, Ive had a HASP+ALADDIN+printer all mounted in tandem on a NT system without a glitch.

HASP security

Agreed fitting the dongle to the printer port makes it kinda tempting for the light fingered, but unless you have your boxes bolted down they are also very tempting...

...get a printer extension cable and put your dongles in a secure box/safe/desk drawer, that way they are secure from both the guy who wants a MasterCAM dongle and the opportunist thief who just wants a new computer.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

At the school where I teach, the paralell ports are on the outside of the computer, so we got a 1' female/female paralell cable, one end is for the HASP, and the other end is screwed into the paralell port. The cable is then fished through an empty slot with a notch just big enough for the cable. Basically they have to destroy the computer case or steal the entire computer to get it.

If you want a USB Hasp you need to talk with your dealer as i know it is just a swap out from CNC.

I dont think there is a extra cost.

I wanted the USB because i am all was on the road.

So i put the usb on the front so i can grab it when ever i leave the computer easly.

Because other wise i usally have to reach around the back.

Ok i really thought it was cool with the light and all. biggrin.gif

JAMMAN...

Alladin (the makers of the HASP keys) use to have a LPT port card that had the parallel connection on the inside of the PC enclosure. Great for schools or other 'high risk' areas. I just checked their site and didn't see any mention of them but you (or others) could inquire if you need that kind of 'HASP security'.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've been relatively fortunate over the years to not have ANY problems with the HASP working/Not Working with my printers, external zip drives, etc.....

While I was a reseller though, I ran into it a couple of times. I suggested that they get an extra Paralell Port Card, plug the HASP into LPT 1 and plug the printer into LPT 2, go to the start manu, settings, printers, right click on your printer go to properties and select LPT 2 for it's port and it worked every time. Printers normally are used to being on LPT 1 when installed but if you install the printer AFTER installing the second paralell port, and put it on LPT 2, it will see it and install correctly.

JM2C

quote:

...get a printer extension cable and put your dongles in a secure box/safe/desk drawer, that way they are secure from both the guy who wants a MasterCAM dongle and the opportunist thief who just wants a new computer.

I use an extention cable for quite a different reason. I often have to update or initialize dongles, before they are shipped to customers, so I have an extension cable running from under the table (where the PC is) to the top of the table, right next to the monitor. This may make the dongle easier to steal, but no strangers have any business coming into my office, unless I am there myself. And I do not want to have to crawl under the table and shift around the PC every time I have to update a dongle.