Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X setup sheet revisited

Oppiz

I hate to beat a dead horse, but...

I did a search read several questions and answers on this topic. My operators prefer a simple setup sheet like mill2 in v9. I've yet been able to get X to post such a setup sheet. I've changed my configuration and control definition both to mill2 but when I do a setup sheet it still posts a mill.set type setup sheet.

Hum so you go to Machine Type, then you go to Control Definition, then you go to files and you select Setup Sheet Template in the File useage, then to the right slect Mill2.set and nothing happens? I have done this and just did this and it worked perfect. If you try this through Machine Def Manager most time it will not take unless you do it through the operation Manager.

HTH

I almost always make all changes through the machine group properties. I had the same problem as you Oppiz, and actually called CNC about it. I was told that this is one of those things wqith a dozen different locations and that the control def was the only place to go for it. You may want to re-load the machine utilizing that control def.. Or if you renamed your control def before altering it you may want to make sure the new control def is selected for use with that machine.

BTW, What's it like workin for a light source? I collect them when I have time)

This sounds like another case of a misunderstanding of the global (hard disk) copy vs the local (machine group) copy of the control definition.

When you edit a control definition via the Machine Type drop down you are editing the global (hard disk) copy of that control definition. Changes made will effect all future uses of that control definition in NEW files or machine groups. These changes WILL NOT effect any existing files or machine groups as they contain copies of the hard disk copy that were made prior to the changes.

If you want to effect the output in an existing machine group (in an existing file), you need to either modify the local copy (via the Machine Group properties dialog) or you need to re-load the machine to get a new local copy of the global (hard disk) CD.

Now, if you try to create a setup sheet using a .set file that does not exist on your system in the path you have specified (you deleted it or moved it or whatever), then the system will attempt to default back to the default system setting (which in this case is mill.set).

Nathan,

"I was told that this is one of those things wqith a dozen different locations and that the control def was the only place to go for it."

There are only two places that the .set file appear in X.

The first is in the system configuration Files topic. The data paths and files that appear here are used as a default value when a NEW control definition is created (such as when you update a V9 post processor using the updatepst utilty). Changing the setting here WILL NOT effect existing control definitions or output from them.

The second place the .set files appear are in the control definition and as I have explained, changing the selected file in a global (hard disk) copy of a CD will only effect files and machine groups created AFTER the change. Changing the value here WILL NOT effect existing files or their existing machine groups as these files contain copies of the control definition that were made prior to your change.

Just to post what I told OPPIZ:

Edit your machine def like this - from the top menu bar - Machine Type, Machine Def Manager, pick your machine, edit the control def, Files, setup sheet location to mill2.set, save, exit, save, etc.

Any current files will need the live machine def/ control def replaced or edited in the same fashion.