Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Communicating with laptop via usb?

Rob B

Please Help!!!!!!!

I am presently communicating to 2 Mazak's (M32 controller) with my desktop using 9 pin serial port with no problems. We are trying to communicate using a laptop that has no 9 pin connection. We have purchased an adaptor(usb to 9 pin serial port) so we can send using our exsisting communication wires. It continues to lock up the machine and the laptop. Windows has configured the 9 pin serial as com4 and says it is working.

I am using V9 and laptop has XP Home.

I thought someone gave reference, a couple of weeks ago, to a west coast dealer that had a webpage with communication configurations for MC to Mazak.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,I had the same problem when I updated my old laptop with serial port to a new laptop with only USB ports. I bought Belkin and a couple of other adaptors that did not work. What did work for me was a USB to serial cable from Radio Shack ( Part# 26-183 ). I am using XP as well and sending to a Haas Mill, Harding Lathe, and an Okuma Lathe with no problems what so ever. I use the Cimco Edit program that came with version 9 and it works like a charm. I hope this is of help to you.

• 7 years later...

Yes-- the issue with USB serial. Mainly caused because USB is at a 5V logic level and true serial swings from -12 to +12. There is quite a desparity between the makers of these converters.

We have had the best luck with the Prolific chip set ones such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812196349

It is still strongly recommended not to go this route but instead take the time and expense of putting in a true ethernet or USB to RS232 converter (or better yet wireless to RS232). Our favorite US company to provide these WIRED products is: www.comtrol.com

If you are in a country on the other side of the world - the most respectable vendor for this type of hardware product we have found is www.atop.com.tw

Regards,

John