Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi task machining?

ChrisD

I would expect Mastercam to take as long as it did changing from V9 to X times two or three before they have a multi-tasking product with full simulation, syncronization, pinch turning, etc.. for multi-tasking machining. I believe developing multi-tasking software for all the popular Mill/Turns is more time consumming than going from V9 to X. Besides the fact that there is "alot going on", there really is no standard of Mill/Turn. It's not like developing software to run a verticle or horizontal machining center, and than making slight changes to each Manufacturer's machine to build the post. Each manufacturer's mill/turn machine can be completely different than the next's. The kinetic's are usually different, some have a turret for a B-axis while others have a spindle. Some have lower turret's, others don't. Some have sub-spindles others have tailstocks. The list goes on and on. There are so many differences and so many options, it's almost like having to build software for each individual machine. I believe it will be years before Mastercam is fully multi-tasking, mill/turn capable.

Drew, you explained better than I did.

That's why they felt Control and Machine Definitions are so important. Once these are fully functional, most of the differences between machines can be handled easily.

I have no idea what the time frame may be. It is a challenging problem, especially when you concider how rapidly the machines are developing.

Multi-tasking from what I've experienced is a "newer term" that belongs to the Mill/Turn machines, ala Mazak Integrex, Mori MT's, Nakamura Super Series, Okuma Mac Turns, etc...

I'm sure it's used when speaking about swiss style machines as well. It's kind of like the term "high speed machining". It means alot of different things to alot of different people.

Please don't misconstrude the following statement but: "I'll believe it when I see it". Judging from everyone's experience with the mis-information concerning X's release, how could anyone be expected to belive the above statements concerning a MATTS release. I've seen how long it's taken other CAM manufacturer's to "start to catch up" to these Mill/Turns, and to believe that CNC Software is going to be able to offer a viable Mill/Turn product shortly would be nothing short of amazing.

Let it be said here, if they are able to offer Mill/Turn software shortly, that beats the current competition, I will NOT close my doors to Mastercam, and would be willing to try it. If it is better, I will be the first to say so, period.