Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

You can’t go back…

kathy

previous thread

I tried to replace the mcpost.dll with an earlier version and no dice. Got an error on startup. So I’m stuck with the update. I have to edit all of my code files; I get the first operation comment for every operation posted. I use extensive comments for each and every operation – that’s just the way it’s done here – and the files need to be 100% correct and complete when they go out on the floor.

PITA

I’ve probably lost about 4 hours just this week alone on Mcam X transition. I’m starting to keep a running list of questions, bugs and comments in a word document. I was doing it on a scratch pad, but this way I can forward specific issues to CNC quality, my reseller and this forum.

I hear everyone’s pain and understand the learning curve and transition to a new software release, but this is ridiculous. The new release is supposed to make my life easier. At best, I’m on edge just because sometimes I think I’ve set a setting somewhere and I didn’t click twice or whatever and it didn’t ‘take’. I’m trying to keep an open mind and not get frustrated, but wait till I get way backlogged again. My ‘customers’ don’t care a rats a** about loyalty to Mcam – they want me to get good programs out so we can make parts.

There are two things nice about Mcam X. The smart zoom, the pan and I do like the interface. Oh – and I can now edit a value to 4 places and make it stick (i.e. change .0001 to 0.0 or 3.9999 to 4.0). That is wonderful, and one of my frustration with V9.

-BUT-

Issues from way back to V7 (my earliest Mcam) have still not been corrected. The instability of groups when editing entities contained within. The copying of entities when the field has a number larger than 1 and the function is set to MOVE. The Catia V4 translator. The ridge hierarchy of level names which makes data integration from other packages VERY cumbersome. The inability to input and document setup information integrated within Mastercam and independent of it’s posting mechanism. Not having an angle / rotation field for defining a WCS. Not being able to work between multiple window sessions of like parts.

And on and on.

I’m trying to get a handle on the WCS in Mcam X. It was so much easier in V9, and I use it probably 99% of the time. Really miss being able to double click my named WSC and go directly to that view.

Really miss being able to use the ctrl c & v keys to copy and paste in the level manager.

And on and on.

~Kathy

quote:

I tried to replace the mcpost.dll with an earlier version and no dice. Got an error on startup. So I’m stuck with the update. I have to edit all of my code files; I get the first operation comment for every operation posted. I use extensive comments for each and every operation – that’s just the way it’s done here – and the files need to be 100% correct and complete when they go out on the floor.

quote:

I hear everyone’s pain and understand the learning curve and transition to a new software release, but this is ridiculous. The new release is supposed to make my life easier. At best, I’m on edge just because sometimes I think I’ve set a setting somewhere and I didn’t click twice or whatever and it didn’t ‘take’. I’m trying to keep an open mind and not get frustrated, but wait till I get way backlogged again. My ‘customers’ don’t care a rats a** about loyalty to Mcam – they want me to get good programs out so we can make parts.

I hear you cheers.gifcheers.gif

quote:

Really miss being able to use the ctrl c & v keys to copy and paste in the level manager.

You can still use it you just must enter it in the lower part of the levels manager.

Also if you go into your WCS manager and click "Update graphics view when WCS changes" that will allow your double click view change.

HTH

John –

I know I can use my ctrl keys in the main level line field, but that’s a lot of clicking back and forth. Normally, I can fill out the level lines in speedy time using my keys. Now, if I forget not only does it not work but also I have to click my way out of the error message.

Btw – the ctrl c (copy) and the ctrl x (cut) works, it’s the paste (ctrl v) that brings on the stupid irritating error dialog box that instructs me to ‘report this error to my dealer’.

quote:

Also if you go into your WCS manager and click "Update graphics view when WCS changes" that will allow your double click view change.

What I meant was that I used to double-click to set between my WCS! I would change my view or not change it (depending on what I was doing at the time) by checking the ‘Update graphics view’. Now what would be really slick is to have my ‘named’ WCS show up on the fly up toolbar in the lower right! Yes, I know I can click ‘named’ and open the dialog box, but it’s all about the mouse clicks.

Okay – enough today – I have school tonight…

~Kathy

Steve sent me his mcpost and mp files and I am back to the previous version!

cheers.gif

Thank You.

I also spoke with my reseller's support guru (Marc L) and he has been very helpful. There should be a fix soon!

So we should all remember CNC is really getting slammed with all of this, so I will try to make all my comments constructive even though I’m frustrated too. Doesn’t help that I’m trying to write some Access code (database) and it’s been a while since I’ve done THAT. So that project is on the back burner for a bit.

~Kathy

I can’t wait to start the ‘What I want in Version 11 Mastercam’ thread.

quote:

I know I can use my ctrl keys in the main level line field, but that’s a lot of clicking back and forth. Normally, I can fill out the level lines in speedy time using my keys. Now, if I forget not only does it not work but also I have to click my way out of the error message.

Btw – the ctrl c (copy) and the ctrl x (cut) works, it’s the paste (ctrl v) that brings on the stupid irritating error dialog box that instructs me to ‘report this error to my dealer’.

You can right click your mouse to paste on the lines.

I don't know if you knew that or not but it works for me.