Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help!

#Rekd™

Hi,

Could some one please explain High Speed Machining to me, does MasterCam do this?

Do you calculate your own speed and feed rates or use the MasterCam ones and what type of cuts(depth) are you taking?

What is MasterCam Designer used for?

Does anyone use Solidworks than import into MasterCam, if so any problems?

I am very new to the CNC thing.

I am using MasterCam, V9.1, Art, Designer, Lathe.

The machine I have is a Daewoo DMV3016L with a Fanuc Oi controler. Mostly using High Speed steel cutters, some carbide. Cutting 304, 303 Stainless, 6061 Aluminum, Acrylic, Delrin, Teflon, Brass and copper.

Any help would be great?

Thank you

John Ford

Welcome to the forun

cheers.gif

You seem to have a bunch of issues some of which may be able to be addressed here, others, I'm not so sure.

Mastercam Design is the drawing side of mastercam.

Much can be created in mastercam, it does not claim to be a design software but it is quite capable of accomplishing alot.

Solidworks files are directly importable into Mastercam using solidworks direct.

High speed machining and HSS cuters do NOT mix.

You say you are new to CNC, do you have any machining background at all?

You've got Mastercam Art, Lathe and you listed a vertical machining center, I hope you have the mill package or MC will do you no good.

And not to be rude but just a friendly reminder. Other people search the threads for information about problems they may be experiencing, in the future, you may want to title your thread about the problems you are having, it makes searching much easier. HELP is not generally a topic.

Unless Storkman has been drinking heavily and fell of his perch, again.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

High Speed Machining is more an approach to machining rather than a specific toolpath. It is generally High Spindle Speeds, High Feed Rates, and shallow depths of cut, while keeping the tool engaged(cutting) at all times. Mastercam does have some toolpaths that machine in this way. As for feeds and speeds, I start with the Tooling Mfr. reccommendations and go up from there usually. More oftern than not (depending on the material of course) I end up around 50-65% higher on the Surface Footage, and chipload stays pretty much the same usually.

Mastercam Design is just that. No toolpaths. Drawing (CAD) only.

Many people use Solidworks for their CAD.

You'll get way more bang for your buck with Carbide.

The problem w/ the term Highspeed machining is that if you ask 10 different poeple their definition you're likely to get 10 different answers. Some people will tell you it means shallow cuts, I mean shallow like .050" deep But flying at 500 IPM and 20000 RPM w/ a .750 em.

To me it just means maximum material removal as fast as possible. 1" deep 1/2" step over 15000 RPM 300 IPM.

I'm probably wrong and someone else will have a better definition but that's mine.

Anyway to go along w/ what John said you really don't want to use H.S.S. tools to acomplish this. You'll have to go all carbide or you will be having some major tool flex issues. For alum I would have to recommend 3 flute carbide for sure.

There are alot of special made tools out there that will have some really high sfm recomendations, I usually start in the middle of what is advertised and work my way up if the machine is having no trouble.

Odds are you will have tool salemen trying to push stuff on you. If they're good then they should have no problem giving you 1 or 2 to try out to see if the cutters are as good as they say. Not to mention they will probably be able to give you good feed and speeds to go w/ also.

Good luck and Welcome to the forum

cheers.gif

Hi John (jmparis),

Thanks for the information!

Yes I have MC mill V9.1, MC lathe V9.1, MC Solids V9.1, MC Designer V9.1, MC Art V9.1

Yes I have a strong Machining background over 20 years. I build prototypes, scale models and sceintific experiments, tool and die, custom machinery, fabrication etc.

Part of my aprenticeship schooling covered G code programing but that was a long time ago!

Thank you

John

Mastercam has a highfeed feature, which in a nutshell takes an existing toolpath and calculates it with variable feedrates to maintain constant chipload and material removal rate. Also takes into account machine acceleration/decel/accuracy. Personally I've had great experience with it, reducing cycle times and really ripping through some material.

John F.,

welcome. Alot of your better cutter manufacturers have Applications Departments. They are a good source of info. Tesco offered to have me send in a sample part file, and they'll make recommendations as feeds, speeds, specific cutters to use, depths of cut, etc. I haven't sent them a part yet, but will be doing so next week, just to see what they say. And don't forget your machine manufaturer. They can be another good source.

scott

John,

Welcome to the forum, I also use solidworks in conjunction with mastercam, have no problems with compatability or anything else. Solid carbide or carbide insert tooling is the way to go, most of your tool distributors have speed and feed info as well as starting recomendations for thier tooling. good luck.

rcktray