Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mirror Image Parts

We do alot of parts that always require mirror image. So of these are complicated. So ususally we get the orginal part right and then mirror image the program.

Using tranform, Mirror image on Y axis does well. But what we have to to is reverse the chain, make cutter comp right in order everything to cut the same being climb cutting.

Drill cycle are fine.

With this take a long time if there is alot of steps.

Just wondering what some people do or is there a better way of doing mirror image parts.

Thanks

Bill

quote:

is there a better way of doing mirror image parts

In short no.

What might give you a little better result is mirror geometry together with toolpaths so you are able to see where lead ins/outs need to be adjusted also...

Pain in the butt but no easy way aroud it frown.gif

hth

quote:

Just wondering what some people do or is there a better way of doing mirror image parts.

If you want to climb cut with right hand cutters this is the better way.

By mirroring your geometry, reversing your chains, changing the the cutter back to the left side, and regenerating your toolpath, you have saved the time it takes to develop a machining approach and creating geometry.

You can mirror the program in the machine control but I hear it is getting harder to get a good selection of left hand cutters.

I'm using all those methods except left hand tooling and there just is NOT an easy way around it.

There is stock considerations, where reversing a toolpath will not do because of lead in/out (unless you like air cutting wink.gif ), left hand tooling is not readly available (try getting varimill in left hand cuckoo.gif ) )...

Just finished a job of 40 matching sets (left and right) that used up to 25 tools per setup and each tool working on several different features of the part and it's time consuming with no magic button as an answer to the original question of this thread.

You need to go tool by tool and toolpath by toolpath, with the exception of drilling and probing.

A big chunk of our work is military and aerospace and mirroring sets a very common here wink.gif

hth

Mark

quote:

get someone local to make it for you

the tools we use are top of the line but off the shelf. Problem with specials is I'd have to slow way down and it's a no-no wink.gif

90% of what i'm cutting is 17-4 ss and 4100-4300 steels and speeds and feeds i'm running it at are comparable to what I used to cut aluminium at not too long ago biggrin.gif

quote:

magic button

automatic stock recognition could be pretty darn close to it tongue.gif