Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Engraving letters.

Hugh.Venables

Hi Cadcam,

I had a look at your standingletters.mc9 file which you made for me but it was not what i was looking for , First of i need to use only v cutters lets say 20 deg d-bit with .20mm dia and it must go around each letter at a defined increment 0f .05mm step size each move is a 3d move in xyz so it can walk up the corner of the letter to give it a .1 rad in ther corner . The letters ar aproxx 3mm high, and on a convex curve

Thanks for your help

Regards Savtav cheers.gif

Satav-

I know what you're asking for, and we are working on it. We have had requests to use an actual Engraving toolpath on spheres, cones, and 3d surfaces.

Of course, to do this properly would require a true 5 Axis toolpath, unless it is only a cylinder that you are engraving, in which case axis substitution would work.

I'll try to get more detail for you.

Doug

• 7 months later...

I engrave on alot of surface geometry waves,

angled radius just about anything.I use multiaxis

curve 5axis but click the 3 axis output.it works

great exept I have to move my z axis up and sneak down sometimes .06 or more,I think it has to do with cutter geometry.You can cut any 2d chain just like its projected,I like to figure out as many ways possible for tasks. smile.gif

mastercam.jpg

Happy Day. I finally figured out how to engrave on a surface. Thanks Jay for all of your help.

The anwser was to engrave in a flat plane. Then project the NCI with a tool of nominal diameter (.001) Save the backplot geometry and 3D contour with the engraving tool.

Tony the diffrence is he is using the the engraving package and it does this with 3d up into the corners and gives you sharp corners.

Its preaty cool.

Well I am sure clad you got it surface.

but the file you sent me looks great.

Now cut the mold and send a picture of the engraving if you can.

J

• 16 years later...

in 2019 use drafting, note and create whatever letters you want. Select ok then pick the icon that says break into lines, select your note and it will turn it into geometry. In version 6.13 use create, drafting, note type out your note. Main menu, Modify, Break, Note/let, Geometry, window. This will break the note into geometry.

• Huh? 1